Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 AM   #1
Bicorn

Default Snakes and Size Modifier

The SMs given for snakes on the writeups on p. B458 seem to imply that a snake's SM is 2 less than the SM determined by their length. Is this explicitly stated anywhere in the books?
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Snakes and Size Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
The SMs given for snakes on the writeups on p. B458 seem to imply that a snake's SM is 2 less than the SM determined by their length. Is this explicitly stated anywhere in the books?
I don't think so, no.

There is a rule (BS550) that if an object is much smaller in 2 of 3 dimensions, which is...pretty accurate for a snake, you use the smallest dimension instead of the largest. But that would make snakes a lot more than -2 SM relative to their length.

(That bit also only really makes sense when SM is viewed solely as a modifier to projectile or thrusting attacks. It's really easy to hit a stick with another stick!)

Does the SM line up with their mass? (To do SM by mass, not actually recommended: calculate HP/ST by mass per BS558, using half the value for Unliving objects to get the value for a living creature. Then divide that by 5, retaining fractions, and use the resulting number as a linear measurement in yards on the Size and Speed/Range Table.)

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 04-19-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
Bicorn

I always found it a little weird that Basic has rules for increasing effective SM for thick objects (+2 for box/sphere, +1 for elongated box) but nothing for the opposite. -2 for a long thin object feels like a good houserule of thumb.
(Also I've never liked any of the mechanics that try to match hp with mass. I find the system works better when the mechanics based on abstracted characteristics and the ones based on real-world measurements are kept largely separate.)
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Bruno

When you look at the modifiers for shape, it shows that SM is really more about volume than length/height. Adjusting by -1 or -2 for slimness is entirely appropriate in my opinion.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
(Also I've never liked any of the mechanics that try to match hp with mass. I find the system works better when the mechanics based on abstracted characteristics and the ones based on real-world measurements are kept largely separate.)
Not achievable. Damage is based on real world measurements, at least nominally. (And pretty strongly in the case of bullet damage.)

Also, HP needs to be linked to real-world measurements for it to be possible to stat any real thing...
Old 04-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
When you look at the modifiers for shape, it shows that SM is really more about volume than length/height. Adjusting by -1 or -2 for slimness is entirely appropriate in my opinion.
I agree with this assessment.

In the case of snakes, I often think, "what would the snake's SM be if it was curled up for support and only the front 1/3 was 'erect'?" This isn't a hard-and-fast rule with a formula backing it up, though, as it is an eyeballed guideline.

YMMV

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
When you look at the modifiers for shape, it shows that SM is really more about volume than length/height.
Given its mechanical effects, it really should be about area.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Given its mechanical effects, it really should be about area.
Except that would make snakes require more food and water than comparably massed mammals, which is of course silly.
SM is all over the place in Gurps for anything not human shaped.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Except that would make snakes require more food and water than comparably massed mammals, which is of course silly.
The primary effects of SM are modifiers to attacking and perception. However, a mammalian snake would require more food than a more compact mammal of the same mass.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The primary effects of SM are modifiers to attacking and perception. However, a mammalian snake would require more food than a more compact mammal of the same mass.
I never said mammalian snake. I said mammal of comparable mass, which is still silly. 30 lb snakes will not eat anywhere near as much as 30 lbs mammals.
Primary effects are for attacks, but that would mean we need SM for each dimension rather than R.A.W.'s longest only.

Tags
size modifier