Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: looking for rule: modifiers on modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
mehrkat had already posted his question was satisfied. But Proteus was unclear on when to apply the rule despite mehrkat's example. You gave Proteus the directed answer to his build needs, I gave an addition contrasting example in the same idiom as his question and your answer to help clarify the difference.
No, I'm pretty sure that Proteus is talking about enhancing limitations. I guess we can hope he clarifies.

Quote:
I'm utterly baffled by your hostile response to me saying you are right and amplifying on your rightness.
Hostile? Not my intention. I was just (and still am) unable to see the relevance.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why isn't it just: Flight (Winged -25%, Switchable +10%) [36]?
I'm not sure how you're working the math on that. Flight [40] with -15% in modifiers would be 34.

And, in any case, it doesn't make sense to take Switchable on Flight, does it? Flight is inherently Switchable, right, like many advantages?

The intent is to have Flight available, and to have that Flight require wings, but not to have the wings hanging around (as visible distractions or as targets) while on the ground.

I'd initially thought that perhaps the Switchable limitation would act to proportionally reduce the discount given by Winged, since lacking the wings sometimes is less disadvantageous than having them all the time. That would be Switchable Winged, for -25% * .9 = -22.5%, so Flight (Switchable Wings) would be 40 * .775 = 31.

Compared to regular old Flight (Winged) [30], I guess it's essentially like adding a Perk, "Wings vanish while landed". Is that fair?
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
SCAR

I think Switchable Body Parts, Powers, page 81, would be worth a look!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I'm not sure how you're working the math on that. Flight [40] with -15% in modifiers would be 34.
That would be correct, if you were able to do arithmetic. :)

Quote:
And, in any case, it doesn't make sense to take Switchable on Flight, does it?
In this case it does though.
Quote:
Flight is inherently Switchable, right, like many advantages?
Winged Flight isn't though, it's inherently Always On, that's why you wanted to make it Switchable. If it was Switchable the Wings would only be vulnerable while Flying.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Vaevictis Asmadi

If the Switchable applies to the Winged, then that means you can turn off Winged and still have Flight. (This is the sort of thing they are probably avoiding by not giving a way to modify limitations.)

What you want is for Flight itself to be Switchable, and somehow indicate that when "turned off" it makes you wingless.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
If the Switchable applies to the Winged, then that means you can turn off Winged and still have Flight. (This is the sort of thing they are probably avoiding by not giving a way to modify limitations.)

What you want is for Flight itself to be Switchable, and somehow indicate that when "turned off" it makes you wingless.
Just adding those two modifiers together would do it. Why else add Switchable?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, enhancements, limitations, modifiers