Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2022, 04:56 AM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: GURPS Powers - Subatomic Manipulation Power

Hmmm. I think your basic power is Control Nonliving Matter, which is broader than any of the Common categories; I would give it a base of 30 points. But you might also look at Create (Transmutation Only) with at least a Large category. This would give you a very flexible power. Take a look at the special effects it permits, and if there's any effect they don't provide, but that you want the character to have, ask about that.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:04 AM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Hmmm. I think your basic power is Control Nonliving Matter, which is broader than any of the Common categories; I would give it a base of 30 points. But you might also look at Create (Transmutation Only) with at least a Large category. This would give you a very flexible power. Take a look at the special effects it permits, and if there's any effect they don't provide, but that you want the character to have, ask about that.
That would probably be the base ability, yeah. But what about other advantages the power might have?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:23 AM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
That would probably be the base ability, yeah. But what about other advantages the power might have?
I think maybe the "subatomic" is deceptive here. If you are actually limited to "subatomic" the scale issue kills pretty much any useful applications. If you can manipulate lots of different "subatomic" things at the same time, then I don't really see a difference between this and any other Matter Manipulation power that also allows disintegration (with or without massive energy release) and transmutation. Well maybe that it would also work on antimatter if you happened to encounter any.

You might describe what you are doing to manipulate the matter differently than somebody whose power was Universal Alchemy or something, but I don't know that the effects are going to be different from Control Classical Elements.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:41 AM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Well, go through the list of effects you can get from Control and Create, at a level you can afford. And then note any specific benefits you envision that aren't included in that list. Do any jump out at you?

You might consider taking everything but Control and Create as alternative abilities at 1/5 cost.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:58 AM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I think maybe the "subatomic" is deceptive here. If you are actually limited to "subatomic" the scale issue kills pretty much any useful applications. If you can manipulate lots of different "subatomic" things at the same time, then I don't really see a difference between this and any other Matter Manipulation power that also allows disintegration (with or without massive energy release) and transmutation. Well maybe that it would also work on antimatter if you happened to encounter any.

You might describe what you are doing to manipulate the matter differently than somebody whose power was Universal Alchemy or something, but I don't know that the effects are going to be different from Control Classical Elements.
Noted. Scale is not just in the subatomic, but rather the manipulation of such particles to create macro effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, go through the list of effects you can get from Control and Create, at a level you can afford. And then note any specific benefits you envision that aren't included in that list. Do any jump out at you?

You might consider taking everything but Control and Create as alternative abilities at 1/5 cost.
That's why I came here to ask that question. What advantages other than Control and Create would Subatomic Manipulation have? Innate Attack and Binding are obvious. But what else?

Alternate Abilities are obvious and I'm ignoring that at the moment to try and build a list on what can be done.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-05-2022, 07:01 AM   #16
munin

I assume you're looking for more ideas than just the Matter Control power from GURPS Powers (pp. P131-132).

Manipulating atoms and subatomic particles is … almost everything. And since "manipulation" implies the application of forces, you're probably getting energy "for free" too. Does "subatomic particles" includes all bosons … because that's all the forces (electromagnetism, gravity, weak/strong interaction).

How much detail control and speed does it have? Is it limited to what a human brain can achieve (probably one particle at a time, maybe a few per second) or does it just "make it happen"?

For example, can it simulate Invisibility by manipulating the rods and cones of people's eyes and the sensor systems of cameras?

Can it simulate 360° Vision, Microscopic/Telescopic Vision, and other perception powers by moving pinhole cameras of atoms around the user? Or just manipulate the user's own eyes/brain in response to atoms moving around somewhere else?

Can the power respond fast enough to create DR against lasers as a Power Block?

Can it manipulate the user's own atoms into a Shapeshifting power?

Does the user need to know how a gun works to Snatch it out of nearby atoms?

Can it simulate Common Sense by running scenarios in other people's brains? Serendipity by scanning the neighborhood and manipulating events towards an outcome? Tenure by manipulating other people's brains?

If Warp and Jumper exist in the setting (as powers or by tech) then this power could do it. Honestly the only "power" advantage I'm having trouble justifying is Precognition.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:15 AM   #17
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Manipulating atoms and subatomic particles is … almost everything. And since "manipulation" implies the application of forces, you're probably getting energy "for free" too. Does "subatomic particles" includes all bosons … because that's all the forces (electromagnetism, gravity, weak/strong interaction).
Yeah, this seems to be a "manipulate everything" power, with the exception of living matter. Telekinesis, lightning, laser, transmutation... the list is virtually endless. It may be easier to list what's not included. (Some of that will depend on the metaphysics of the campaign - I would not include spirit control powers).

You like RPM. This power would be "anything I could do with the spheres of Matter and Energy". Go wild.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:20 AM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Thanks, folks. I think I got a handle on it.

Cheers

Become a Patron!
Old 08-05-2022, 08:18 AM   #19
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Yeah, this seems to be a "manipulate everything" power, with the exception of living matter. Telekinesis, lightning, laser, transmutation... the list is virtually endless.
I'd actually say the laser one is a bit out of theme here.

I'd certainly expect a super with this power to be able to sculpt matter, to have both a burning (ravening beams of nuclear fire...) and a corrosive (falls to subatomic dust...) innate attack, a force field that works on anything material or electricity, but not some kinds of energy, particularly light based attacks or supernatural things. Movement, biological and mental powers seem off theme even if you can justify almost anything as manipulating matter.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #20
mr beer

Dr Manhattan might be an inspiration here: X-Ray vision, Insubstantial, turn matter into different types of matter etc. Oh, and casually exploding inconvenient people. I think his teleportation and Duplicate are less on brand.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, supers