Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2022, 07:10 AM   #31
RGTraynor

Default Re: Power Stone Mana Recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
My experience from time in a modern infantry force that spent almost all its training time on bush warfare is that while the manuals and instructor all say 5-10 metres separation, what you get in bush is 3-5 metres. More than that and Tail-End Charlie feels too vulnerable, and in thick bush you can't see the guys ahead and behind and that's simply unacceptable.

In open country you can get that 5-10 metre spread because your men can see each other, and can see that they can still support each other from that distance. You still tend to end up with pairs of guys with 5m between them, and 10m between pairs though - people want to know their buddy/assistant is close at hand in case things suddenly get lively.

Sure. But that's with modern tech, where you can engage the enemy at hundreds of meters. Low tech, as large as a 5 meter separation is a gilt-edged invitation for the enemy to break your line, and 4's pushing the envelope.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:25 PM   #32
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
Sure. But that's with modern tech, where you can engage the enemy at hundreds of meters. Low tech, as large as a 5 meter separation is a gilt-edged invitation for the enemy to break your line, and 4's pushing the envelope.
Also, in a setting with 'monsters,' longer separations are an invitation for something to make Tail-End Charlie mysteriously vanish, and then the next one later on.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #33
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Also, in a setting with 'monsters,' longer separations are an invitation for something to make Tail-End Charlie mysteriously vanish, and then the next one later on.
No need for mosters.

Quote:
Suddenly a German officer and five men jumped out of the trench and charged me with fixed bayonets. I changed to the old automatic and just touched them off too. I touched off the sixth man first, then the fifth, then the fourth, then the third and so on. I wanted them to keep coming.
I didn't want the rear ones to see me touching off the front ones. I was afraid they would drop down and pump a volley into me. — and I got hold of the German major, and he told me if I wouldn't kill any more of them he would make them quit firing. So I told him all right, if he would do it now. So he blew a little whistle, and they quit shooting and come down and gave up. -Sqt Alvin York
Old 06-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #34
Ndreare

Although one of my players does love the "spreadsheets and calculators" game. I think for the purposes of our game we will just say one per person.
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first aid, healing