Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
Emerikol

Default Akashik!

So I like the idea of some people having the ability to tap into the collective mind. So for knowledge based skills it’s kind of like a bang skill. It won’t give anyone the ability to do a skill based task. Just pure knowledge like you’d read in a book but never practiced.

I was thinking though that this would be more like an inate ability improved by talent. It lets you roll IQ + talent

1. If anyone has witnessed directly something recently it’s at no penalty.
2. If only the dead remember it’s a penalty.
3. If it’s not been thought about for a long time there is a penalty.

Penalties would be cumulative.

What would this cost you think? Not a lot if anything for the base because in some ways thats a default already. Maybe the talent though has a price. 5/level maybe?
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Akashik!

This sounds a lot like Wild Talent limited to skills. Have you looked at that?
Old 08-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #3
whswhs

It sounds sort of like a Modular Ability with an unusual source for the abilities.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
So I like the idea of some people having the ability to tap into the collective mind. So for knowledge based skills it’s kind of like a bang skill. It won’t give anyone the ability to do a skill based task. Just pure knowledge like you’d read in a book but never practiced.
See "Reading the Akashic Record" on p. 213 of Banestorm. It's Modular Abilities (Cosmic) with limitations. If you want to avoid it being used for doing things, limit it to Expert Skills.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

It actually sounds superficially a lot like Racial Memory.

Except that it's way, way more powerful as an immediate intelligence source. You can, rolling at no penalty, report on every currently-active secret project on the planet in detail. It's fantastically powerful post-cognitive clairvoyance. Using it to get knowledge of actual skills is overlooking the real power.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It actually sounds superficially a lot like Racial Memory.

Except that it's way, way more powerful as an immediate intelligence source. You can, rolling at no penalty, report on every currently-active secret project on the planet in detail. It's fantastically powerful post-cognitive clairvoyance. Using it to get knowledge of actual skills is overlooking the real power.
This. I like all the other ideas presented, even made an RPM spell for it "Hall of Records" but I go the Racial Memory route with some modifiers and alternative abilities.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
akashic record, modular abilities