Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Azinctus

Default DF: Burning HP houserule

I've been using a houserule for burning HP to cast spells in my DF campaign and I'd like to see what people think of it.

When a PC burns FP they don't suffer a -1 to the spell per HP used. However you can't use HP until you are at zero Fatigue. There is no special protection against death. You cast the spell, mark off the HP and then make any health rolls. If you die, you die.

I found that PCs never use HP because the malus is too severe, the PC would like to risk his life for one last spell but because of the malus the spell has too low a chance of working anyway.

What do you think? Is this open to too much munchkingly abuse? Could I modify it to get the same results but close out some of the abusive uses? (I think there might be an exploit with Lend Energy/Major Healing where a party could profit from this rule)
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Plasmabunny

Default Re: DF: Burning HP houserule

Well, you could just ignore the Malus rule, or apply it only to spells that could be abused. Or if you want a better ingame explanation, it could only apply to healing spells (makes sense that using your own life force to fuel a spell might make it harder to control if you plan to use it to boost someone else's life force). Malus could be your life energy rebelling against the use.
Plasmabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Kaldrin

Am I wrong in thinking that when you're at 0 fatigue you are unconscious? I don't have the book with me here to check...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin
Am I wrong in thinking that when you're at 0 fatigue you are unconscious? I don't have the book with me here to check...
Yes, when you are at 0 fatigue you have to roll each turn, but you aren't automatically unconscious - as with HP.

Tags
house rules, magic