Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2019, 04:26 AM   #33
coronatiger

Default Session 21 (2019-07-07)

Thoughts on November 30th

When Olivia and I took over the watch from Ilzo, he delivered a confusing report of food taking our food. He still can’t speak our language very well, so Olivia checked our supply, discovering that a fair amount had been stolen. When I spotted large rodents skulking around the camp, I shot one of them, scaring off the rest. The rat-like creature didn’t look very appetizing, so I gave it to Ilzo for breakfast. He cooked it before eating it, so it can’t have been very appealing to him either; usually he eats his meat raw.

While looking around the grove yesterday, Ilzo found tracks leading north, and we decided to follow them, even if they were weeks old. Va’lyndra spotted a place where they’d taken a short rest, and we searched the site, but didn’t find anything of interest.

Later, we found a battleground. Four giants and two human-sized people had fallen here, and animals had been at the corpses, eating away any way of identifying them. The two human-sized people wore leather armor, which also had been gnawed at, and we found several broken arrows, but nothing useful. Va’lyndra checked the teeth, concluding that none of the fallen were orcs.

Lady Karita thought it was of no use to follow the old tracks that continued north, and wanted to seek out more statues. Va’lyndra wanted to stay on the tracks, at least a little longer. I got the impression she bears a grudge against those who took the statue away from the temple, defiling the sacred grove. Oh, the irony! I had no strong feelings in the matter, but thought we should humor Va’lyndra, at least for a little while. We agreed to go north until Lady Karita determined we’d reached the edge of the map.

When we made camp, we built a makeshift rack from which we could hang the food so it wouldn’t be so easily accessible to rodents.

Thoughts on December 1st

The weather changed for the warmer, today, and I forewent heavy winter clothes in favor of my swamp wurm leather armor. I still wore a cloak, though. We followed the tracks north along the mountain range all day, but decided to change course tomorrow.

Thoughts on December 2nd

We set off in a southeasterly direction today, returning to the sheltering forest around midday. In the afternoon, Va’lyndra spotted humanoid figures in our path and tweeted a warning sign. We wanted to remain unseen, so we veered off to the south. Olivia and Ilzo took extra care camouflaging our camp.

Thoughts on December 3rd

Olivia and I woke up when someone entered our tent. At first, I thought it was Ilzo, but Olivia screamed, so I grabbed his legs and tried to pull them out from under him. It didn’t work, so I drew Scorchmark, readying an attack in case the intruder tried anything. I wasn’t sure if it was Ilzo or not until he retreated out into the moonlight, saying something in orcish.

Olivia was still screaming. Knowing that a strategically inserted finger wouldn’t work on Olivia the way it did on me, I settled for holding her close, stroking her hair and whispering soothing words until she calmed down. Going near her private parts while she was panicking would only make things worse.

As soon as Olivia was calm, I burst from the tent, yelling at Ilzo. What was he thinking, creeping into our tent like that??! He said there were people in the woods, and he came to tell me, the leader, about it. Lady Karita exchanged a few words with him in orcish before activating Surkalpi. She claimed to see somebody far out among the trees, but told me not to stare, so I didn’t.

Ilzo moved out, sneaking towards the people out there. Va’lyndra started to follow, but Lady Karita bade her wait until she had armed herself. I put on armor, strung my bow, and strapped on Scorchmark and the quiver, leaving the brass knuckles in the belt pouch. Then I guarded Olivia and the camp while my two companions followed the orc.

The three of them returned after a few minutes to fetch Surkalpi, but deactivated the light spell before moving out again. They followed the intruders south for half an hour before returning to camp again. They had lost the tracks, but determined it should be safe enough for us to continue east.

As Olivia and I were up and alert, we resumed the watch, sending Ilzo off to bed. I tried thinking of a way for the others to wake us silently without having to enter our tent, but didn’t get any good ideas.

We made good speed today. The weather was good, and the first snow has yet to fall.

Thoughts on December 4th

It was a cold watch this morning. Olivia and I huddled together on a fallen log, and occasionally got up to look around. As we sat there, Olivia suddenly shifted and moved her face towards mine. I closed my eyes for a kiss that never came. “There’s someone out there,” she whispered. My eyes popped up and I looked around, but I couldn’t see anyone, even when Olivia pointed discretely. I trust Olivia completely, so there was never a thought in my mind that she was mistaken. I picked up my bow and drew an arrow while Olivia activated Surkalpi’s light spell. I still couldn’t see anyone, but Olivia spotted several dark figures in the bushes, so I called out for the others to wake. The figures, now aware they’d been spotted started lurking away. Lady Karita, Va’lyndra and Ilzo emerged from their tents, and I explained what was going on, but nobody could locate the lurkers. Va’lyndra even went so far as to claim that Olivia must have made an error. The others went back to sleep after a little while, and we turned off the light.

We chose to let Lady Karita sleep longer this morning. She needs her sleep, or she gets grumpy. Va’lyndra brought out a book to study. Olivia and I ducked back inside our tent for some private time.

Nothing happened as we rode through the forest. I balanced on the saddle, as usual.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue

Last edited by coronatiger; 07-25-2019 at 05:10 AM.
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign log