Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #41
DSumner

Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
I didn't know until a couple of years ago that the staff illustrator I'd known back in '82 had gone on to do dazzling great things! Fables is great stuff, and it is pretty phenomenal that "Will'm" is doing work for V&V again.
Several of the people that worked for FGU moved on to bigger things. Pat Zircher is working for Marvel; Jill Thompson was working at DC, and was the artist on the Wonder Woman comic; Janet Jackson was working as a colorist for DC; Matt Wagner created Grendel, Mage, and worked on other several other comics. Thomas Dowd wrote Shadow Run, and several other games. The place was definitely a breeding ground for creative minds.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #42
stefanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Several of the people that worked for FGU moved on to bigger things. Pat Zircher is working for Marvel; Jill Thompson was working at DC, and was the artist on the Wonder Woman comic; Janet Jackson was working as a colorist for DC; Matt Wagner created Grendel, Mage, and worked on other several other comics. Thomas Dowd wrote Shadow Run, and several other games. The place was definitely a breeding ground for creative minds.
I got really busy with school and work in the mid 80s, and actually don't know most of those names.

Thom Dowd started out as FGU's stock boy! Last I saw him in person was at CES trade show around '94; I was a booth slave for a marginal multimedia company; he was in a white linen suit and high up there at some game company.

I googled him up the other day. Today he's creative lead on a MMPORPG, and teaching a college course on computer entertainment design in Chicago.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #43
DSumner

Default Enter the Gene Pool

And the newest V&V release is out.

Villains and Vigilantes: Enter the Gene Pool

Enter the Gene Pool - a super-scientist, a formula to induce mutations and super powers, a villain team using kidnapping to obtain resources for experiments and build “street-cred” add up to a challenge for the heroes - can they stop the gene pool?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #44
stefanj

My printed-by-Lulu copy of the new V&V rules arrived today. No huge differences, but it seems a bit better organized and laid out.

Oh . . . there is a new section at the end, for luchador style combat moves!

I remember manually correcting the "blue prints" of my old V&V books. The whole Lulu / POD phenomena is cool stuff.

If I could indulge in some pluggity-pluggity:

From the Deeps of Space, Bottom of page

Pentacle Plot
, Top of page
Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #45
AlabasterKnight

Hey there everyone....

COMING SOON FROM FANTASY GAMES UNLIMITED:
INTO THE SUB-REALM - A Villains and Vigilantes™ adventure by Stephan and Stewart Wieck, edited by Jack Herman with art by Jeff Dee! When the world is shaken by a series of unnatural disasters, it’s up to your heroes to save the day for humanity!

Things are really moving well at FGU, with a print edition soon to follow for Citizen Report, Enter The Gene Pool, and Into The Sub-Realm!
AlabasterKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #46
PungiFungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabasterKnight View Post
Hey there everyone....

COMING SOON FROM FANTASY GAMES UNLIMITED:
INTO THE SUB-REALM - A Villains and Vigilantes™ adventure by Stephan and Stewart Wieck, edited by Jack Herman with art by Jeff Dee! When the world is shaken by a series of unnatural disasters, it’s up to your heroes to save the day for humanity!

Things are really moving well at FGU, with a print edition soon to follow for Citizen Report, Enter The Gene Pool, and Into The Sub-Realm!
I was wondering when they were going to revive this one, as this was to be the next adventure to be publish right before FGU went under.

Awhile back Jeff Dee actually posted the cover art and counters he drew for this adventure on his website (including some weird character named Earthworm and a huge walking boulder like creature) and I contacted Stephan and Stewart Wieck and asked them about this never published work. I hope they use the art that Dee had already drew for it.
PungiFungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #47
AlabasterKnight

Let me be clear of at least this: FGU *never* went under.

Yes, the original artwork that Dee rendered is part of the whole deal. However, although he can claim the copyright for the art itself as IP, he drew the pieces paid in full as work for hire, so the only place that it will be sold is by FGU in this adventure.

The Wieck brothers are excited and glad to see this be published at last; Jack and Jeff seem to be the only ones who truly have any sour grapes about it...

You can feel free to discuss it here at a new forum specifically for *all* V&V, regardless the source... http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vnvrpg/

Also, check the FGU website (which is being updated!) for current updates to new to be released items. We're very excited with all that is planned!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #48
AlabasterKnight

http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net...antes-8/rec/25

Into The Sub-Realm is now available for purchase as a PDF download....

Yayyyyyy!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #49
DSumner

Stefan, did you get a chance to look at the interview I posted? Any other info you'd like to add?

Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #50
stefanj

I thought it was fine. I do read the MHG forum on a regular basis, just haven't posted there lately!

I'm finishing up "rocket season" and hope to get back in the writing groove shortly.

Tags
supers