Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
beetle496

Default Miniature Appreciation Thread

Now that I am getting closer to being done painting the core dozen miniatures, I thought I would take the time to note a few features I am appreciating about them. These are things which I didn’t pick up on before I started to paint.

Please be encouraged to add to the list!
  1. I like how elements are reused. Maybe the best example is what is obviously a flame weapon on Dragon and Hotshot. There has to be a nearly infinite number of ways to model a gun barrel and stock. It helps my sense of immersion to see small repeated details with the magazines, the receivers, the cooling blades, etc. But it is not just the weapons, as there are other repeated elements as well.
  2. Building on the above, many weapons are such very nice matches to the card graphics. And again, Dragon and Hotshot are great examples of this. That is not just a generic flame weapon, it is very obviously the Fire Lance. The card graphics have informed my painting.
  3. I also appreciate balance between honoring the details of cards and providing players flexibility. Yes, the big guns on Dragon and Hotshot are obviously flame weapons, but they do not have to be the Fire Lance specifically. And if a flame weapon is not in my build, there are 10+ other models to choose from. If lasers are my thing, I can pick a miniature with one of the boxy guns. The large and small bore weapons are appropriate for the full range of Shred and Slug weapons. I don’t think it would ever be the case that a player could not find a good match to their build from the core set. It is purposefull design which helps with immersion, and makes the game more fun.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-11-2021 at 10:13 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote