Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Create-ing Internally

I see zero problem with using Create inside your own body cavities. In some cases characters might be limited to doing so.

Having the ability to use create in other people's bodies restricted to harmless use is...probably fine from a game perspective but wooly to think about if somebody actually tries to probe the boundaries.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #12
the_matrix_walker

With internal creation, there is a matter of the space involved. There is no regular empty space (other than a few small bubbles) in your stomach.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
With internal creation, there is a matter of the space involved. There is no regular empty space (other than a few small bubbles) in your stomach.
There is no actually empty space in any environment that most player characters operate in. Air isn't vacuum. I would normally assume that Create can displace fluids.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
Polkageist

Well, trivially displaceable gasses in an unenclosed space. Makes you wonder if using Create <Foo> in an sealed enclosed space would measurably increase the air pressure. Or maybe it wouldn't work. Can o' worms!

Anyway, OP, it might be a mismatch of desired effect vs. advantage name.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
There is no actually empty space in any environment that most player characters operate in. Air isn't vacuum. I would normally assume that Create can displace fluids.
Granted, but you're displacing more than fluids, and that aside, the rapid expansion of the stomach would likely have some unfortunate side effects.

Plus you have to be able to target these non-fleshy areas, meaning additional enhancement.

I would need a pretty compelling reason to use create for this... too kludgy and inelegant.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Granted, but you're displacing more than fluids, and that aside, the rapid expansion of the stomach would likely have some unfortunate side effects.
You're displacing fluids. The fluids may displace other things but that again applies to any use of Create in a non-vacuum environment.

Why rapid expansion? No reason you've got to create the food faster than you would swallow it.
Quote:
Plus you have to be able to target these non-fleshy areas, meaning additional enhancement.
The inside of your own body is certainly within arm's reach. Targeting inside other people's stomachs might be less trivial.
Quote:
I would need a pretty compelling reason to use create for this... too kludgy and inelegant.
Create is always cludgy and inelegant, and especially so for consumables. But this doesn't seem particularly worse than Create in general.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #17
Plane

I wonder what if we just had Create only make stuff in hands and then use Affliction:Warp on created materials to transport them?

Is there even anything preventing someone with Warp from teleporting inside someone's stomach?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #18
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Is the goal to use Create in a funky way, or to build a power that feeds people?

If you are looking for the power to keep stomachs full, I would use the Healing variant to heal fatigue, limited to heal only fatigue from starvation. The rest is a special effect.
The power is about creating a substance that, among other things, happens to work as a meal replacement. Which made me start with Create and then find any oddities from there. The substance in question has other uses, but from a day-to-day perspective it being able to feed you is probably the most common use.

Healing hunger has other oddities, same as healing any other special type of FP; It doesn't change the last time you ate, only affecting the aftereffects of not eating. Just like how healing FP lost to sleep doesn't mean you actually got in eight hours of sleep.

I'm also assuming that;
A) I don't have to make a full amount (aka I can make a pound or ounce even though Create 1 makes 10 pounds)
2) Creating something the body wants can be created in a way that works with the body, even if physics or science might say otherwise.
C) That Create has Reduced Cost 2 and No Roll Required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Create is always cludgy and inelegant, and especially so for consumables. But this doesn't seem particularly worse than Create in general.
I definitely agree. In most situations where I want to 'create' something, I usually turn to Snatcher since the objects are often complicated and/or versatile. But a single substance seems to be where Create shines.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #19
Polkageist

Create Shmoo
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #20
Stormcrow

I think the spirit of Create is "you can make something out of nothing," not "you can cause something to appear whose appearance in that particular place has a useful side-effect on another character," and I think it's priced accordingly.

Creating something inside a foe to damage them is an obvious violation of this spirit, so it's not allowed. Creating food or water inside someone's stomach violates the spirit as well — nourishing them is a side-effect of the Creation — but they can just go and eat or drink what you created, so why would you spend character points to stabilize this Created matter?

So I think the not-inside-someone rule is just a blanket statement meant to quash attempts to find loopholes to get around the spirit of the advantage. I don't think I'd even allow a character to Create stuff inside a foe's Payload: it might, at least, have the side-effect of increasing the foe's encumbrance, and I don't think that's in the spirit of Create either.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote