Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Better vehicle system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
No, it's the less effort version. A lot of calculus problems are susceptible to brute force calculation, but Newton didn't have modern computers.
Charles Babbage seems to have thought it was easier to invent the difference engine.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Better vehicle system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Hit Points has a simple conversion formula (or can be calculated directly from mass)

It should also be born in mind, of course, that the 3e Vehicle Design rules are not for those who are intimidated by math. Reports that you needed to solve differential equations to build vehicles are exaggerated,
Hit pts conversions are problematic due to differing philosophies. Ve2 allows for "Frame Strength" to increase or reduce HP with only small changes in mass but larger changes in cost. 4e dogma has HP being based on mass only and 3e vehicles that used lighter or heavier frame strengths coudl be severely affected.

There is also a radical difference in philosophy of HP between 3e and 4e with 4e vehicles having many, many fewer ones. I personally wouldn't convert 3e products of Ve2 to 4e. I'd just start over.

Also, there are only 2 places in Ve2 where cube roots are required and they affect water vehicles only. A table of approximations is provided to avoid doing the cube roots. Other than that it's basic math and square roots. Issues might arise out of the number of steps and the need to do that basic math at each one.

It isn't as simple as Spaceships but I can design in Spaceships by counting on my fingers (going around my 10 fingers twice) and then looking up the performance for each system at the chosen TLs and SMs.

It's _very_ hard to create a system that's more detailed than Spaceships but not too much more complicated.