Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #31
Gumby Bush

Default Re: What's next for the DFRPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
It occurs to me, with all the discussion of the 150 point characters, it could be possible to do a very low points book. The traditional late teens stumble into ADVENTURE! type of thing. 25 point characters and appropriate threats. For a dungeon, I'm thinking something in the mould of Ghormengast. A crumbling old, half abandoned, old castle. The town is actually on the second level of the dungeon. Quirky characters, and odd creatures abound. Admittedly the focus would probably shift away from combat a bit but lots of room for exploration.
DFRPG poking fun at memes book: templates for a 25-point wizard (with 1HP), cats to fight, etc.,

Probably not too saleable, but maybe worth an ad.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #32
Dalin

While I'll happily buy just about anything produced for DFRPG, low-point adventuring isn't at the top of my personal wishlist. I'm more interested in:
  • adventures (big, small, whatever!)
  • encounters or lairs (quick material that could be dropped into many campaigns)
  • interesting NPCs (whether foes, allies, or just colorful characters to interact with)
  • settings, towns, etc.

I don't particularly need new or expanded rules, though I enjoy them when they help flesh out a new setting. So an adventure on the high seas might include expanded information about sailing, swimming, underwater fighting, water spells, etc.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:08 AM   #33
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
While I'll happily buy just about anything produced for DFRPG, low-point adventuring isn't at the top of my personal wishlist. I'm more interested in:
  • adventures (big, small, whatever!)
  • encounters or lairs (quick material that could be dropped into many campaigns)
  • interesting NPCs (whether foes, allies, or just colorful characters to interact with)
  • settings, towns, etc.

I don't particularly need new or expanded rules, though I enjoy them when they help flesh out a new setting. So an adventure on the high seas might include expanded information about sailing, swimming, underwater fighting, water spells, etc.

I can see an encounter book being useful.

Back when I was playing D&D 4th Edition, there was a book (Dungeon Delve) which contained a range of encounters. The book was in leveled order, with the front of the book having level 1 encounters and the back of the book having level 30 encounters.

While GURPS does not have levels, I believe a similar book could be useful for DFRPG. Encounters could range from the first being a simple mook fight to the last being something deadly and complex (such as fighting a boss monster on its home turf).

It's been a while since I've played that game or read that book, but I believe it's more accurate to say that each entry was a set of 1-3 encounters/rooms designed to be dropped into a campaign.

I'm not exactly sure what the products looks like through the lens of GURPS, but I believe it could be useful.

Perhaps, instead of a level/complexity range, there could be collections of adventures/encounters to plug into different parts of a campaign: a collection of starter adventures for getting a campaign moving; a collection of middle adventures to plug in somewhere after a campaign is in progress; and a collection of adventures and boss fights intended to be a capstone to a campaign.

The intention would not be to provide a complete adventure path, but to instead provide bullet points around which to build a campaign.

So perhaps someone chooses signing up to Serve as Caravan Security as the starter adventure from book A; they choose Showdown With the Goblin Shaman from book B as an important plot point somewhere in the middle; and they choose The Demonologist's Tower from book C as the end point to their story arc. It would then be up to the GM to connect the dots by filling in the gaps in between.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #34
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I think it was one of the Steven Brust novels where the main characters had to cross a bridge called something that basically was a conjunction of the word "ford" in four languages. So it was called first just the blerg, which was the word for ford. Then it was called the blerg ford, then the blergford ford, then something else.

I'm feeling like it was one of his faux three musketeers books: The Khaavren Romances (The Phoenix Guards and Five Hundred Years After).

So in proper language, I would say I'm making Norðlondr Óvinabókin. Or would it be "the Norðlondr Óvinabók" because the -in moves to the front?

Regardless: it must mean "big book of bad grammar."
Well, I wonder where Brust got the idea... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_place_names

Big Book of Bad Grammar? You're gonna challenge PCs with grammar?

FWIW in Icelandic the definitive article is almost always at the end of the word. It can be a separate word but that's a bit odd.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #35
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
FWIW in Icelandic the definitive article is almost always at the end of the word. It can be a separate word but that's a bit odd.
Same in Swedish. And presumably in the other Scandinavian countries. I don't think proto-Germanic even had definite/indefinite articles.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #36
SolemnGolem

Do the Nordlund books have any cheeky sidebars about flyting and Lokasenna, for the delectation of the bards in the group?
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #37
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Do the Nordlund books have any cheeky sidebars about flyting and Lokasenna, for the delectation of the bards in the group?
Flyting gets a small but fun section in Citadel at Nordvorn. I don't explicitly mention the Lokasenna, because tying the setting to ACTUAL Norse mythology, as opposed to "hey, where'd those serial number go?" is somewhat out of place in the DFRPG.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #38
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
The Citadel at Nordvorn has about 2/3 of a page dedicated to the mechanics of flying. It is mentioned in both Dragons of Rosgarth and Forest's End without detailing the mechanics. We've had a couple of fun flying events in my current Nordlond campaign.

I don't know what the Lokasenna is and don't recall seeing it referenced in the books.

Edit: Douglas beat me to it!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #39
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
Well, I wonder where Brust got the idea... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_place_names.
There's an (apparently either questionable or recently coined) quadruple example in England; http://www.realenglishschool.eu/en/1...ry/99-pleonasm mentions torpenhow hill, which is hill hill hill hill.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #40
jackcelso

i would like to see more Denizens series.... the Thief and Knight Templates, in my opinion deserve much more atention. But would be very cool to see all the basic classes cover!!!
jackcelso is offline   Reply With Quote