Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #41
Lord Twig

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

Hi. Great app! I know it is going to be free, but will there be some kind of money stream for it? Ads or premium content? I would be happy to throw some money at you to keep it going!

As for bugs, the previous version I had a character at 3 Strength eat some mushrooms and got 1.5 fatigue from it. I assume that should be rounded up or down?

Just installed the 4/23 version 9.1. But not sure I can replicate that exact scenario.
Lord Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #42
Fuhrmanator

The bug with carrying over dx penalty still exists. See the proof below.

It's never too late for unit tests! I wrote a bunch for melee before, but probably not in the language you're using? If the app is free, you can consider open sourcing the code?

http://i.imgur.com/PZzCAM2.jpg

Edit: here's some source for a sample unit-test (hope you can get the idea) that asserts that no dx penalty occurs at the start of the round, that it exists after the hero takes 5 hits, and that it persists for at least an entire round:

dexPenaltyLastsOneCompleteRound: function (o) {
assert(o.hero.sufferingDexPenalty()).not();
o.hero.takeHits(5);
assert(o.hero.sufferingDexPenalty());
o.hero.newRound();
assert(o.hero.damageTakenThisRound()).equals(0);
o.hero.newRound();
},

Last edited by Fuhrmanator; 04-28-2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Show a sample unit test
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #43
hcobb

If SJGames wants an open source app then I could convert my PHP random character generator to a Javascript driven PDF character pad for fairly broad cross-platform support. (Just delete the pages of the characters you no longer wish to track.)
Old 04-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #44
Lord Twig

Just tried a few combats with the newest version and it looks like the Toughness talent isn't working.
Lord Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #45
Shroomofinsanity

I will second that toughness isnt working. Also is there a way to scroll through talents? When I pull up the other combat talents on my galaxy s8+ I can't see below what I think is unarmed combat 3.
Shroomofinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #46
andreww

Thanks for the reports! I will be spending most of the afternoon fixing big things. Most of the recent reports are things I can fix in a few minutes as break from the big issues. I can't promise a new version tonight, but that's my hope. Certainly by later in the week.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #47
Fuhrmanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomofinsanity View Post
I will second that toughness isnt working. Also is there a way to scroll through talents? When I pull up the other combat talents on my galaxy s8+ I can't see below what I think is unarmed combat 3.
I had this problem on my S9. I had set the system font to be something larger than default, because my eyes are not those of a 20 year old :-) Setting it back to the default (tiny) font fixed many of the problems with the app's display. Talents fit on one screen, etc.

Sadly, those fonts are global settings, so I have to go back and change them when I want to use the rest of my phone (esp. facebook).

The TFT helper app should not break (have text go off the screen without being able to scroll to it) if someone changes the Android default font settings. Given that most of us are 50+ years old, we're very likely to increase the font size on our phones from the default.
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #48
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrmanator View Post
The bug with carrying over dx penalty still exists. See the proof below.

It's never too late for unit tests! I wrote a bunch for melee before, but probably not in the language you're using? If the app is free, you can consider open sourcing the code?

http://i.imgur.com/PZzCAM2.jpg

Edit: here's some source for a sample unit-test (hope you can get the idea) that asserts that no dx penalty occurs at the start of the round, that it exists after the hero takes 5 hits, and that it persists for at least an entire round:

dexPenaltyLastsOneCompleteRound: function (o) {
o.hero.takeHits(5);
o.hero.newRound();
assert(o.hero.damageTakenThisRound()).equals(0);
o.hero.newRound();
},

The "takeHits" needs to be >=5
The "damageTakenThisRound()).equals(0) is incorrect because the DX penalty exists regardless of how much damage is taken or not taken.
Also, the penalty is only supposed to exist from one action phase to the next.

I haven't see how you define "newRound" but I think it needs clarification.

Char A takes action, then suffers 5 hits. Next turn, takes another 5 hits before he can act, DX penalty is only -2 though 10 points of damage was taken over 2 turns. And he is not knocked down and, unless his ST is now 3 or less, does not suffer the additional -3 DX penalty.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:12 PM   #49
andreww

I found and fixed the problem with Toughness, it will be fixed in the next version.

There are lots of places where the fonts are the wrong size. That means that some menus go off the bottom of the page, skills and spells can overrun their box, and if race and type become too wide they make that info line wrap and the character card artwork gets pushed down and nothing lines up. And many things look silly on tablets. All this is connected and will be fixed in the next version. Thanks to those who have pointed out specific instances! If you see something along these lines that is well out of the way that is still worth mentioning, but if it's something I just mentioned or something pretty obvious you don't need to bother describing it for now.

I still can't recreate NaN for spiked shield damage, so if anyone sees that it would be helpful to know exactly when it happens. That might be a good time for a screen shot.

I have tonight and tomorrow AM to work on these and the combat timing issues, so I *hope* to have a new version by midday tomorrow. No promises at this point, I don't want to waste everyone's time with a new version before I've fixed the most aggravating problems.

Thanks everyone!
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #50
hcobb

Did you fix the bug with spider striking back on the same turn it's flipped over by a shield rush?