Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Shadekeep

Default D8/D4

Just filled out the t-shirt Backerkit and picked up the new D8/D4 dice. Are there rules or expansions in the works that will use these?

With the recent-ish addition of the D12/D3 dice, the only standard polyhedral die missing from TFT now is the D20 (unless I've overlooked that). Interesting to be getting all these dice now, since TFT has been rather famous for being a purely D6 RPG. Not necessarily a complaint, just unexpected to see these making their way in. Curious as to the future plans for these new dice.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: D8/D4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Just filled out the t-shirt Backerkit and picked up the new D8/D4 dice. Are there rules or expansions in the works that will use these?
Not yet, but we have ideas . . .
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
hcobb

Switch barehanded/club/dagger damage to D4s?

D12 matches to my stacking limit of 12 rats to the hex.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Switch barehanded/club/dagger damage to D4s?
I switched unarmed damage to a d3 base in my game already. Much more reasonable progression that way, plus it won't step on any toes where 'real' weapons are concerned.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
larsdangly

Fun! Can someone remind me what I'm supposed to be using d12's and d3's for in my TFT games?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:49 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Fun! Can someone remind me what I'm supposed to be using d12's and d3's for in my TFT games?
Anything you like! There are already some expansions that list uses for a three-sided die, and more and more expansions will use the dice in the future.

At the moment, the d12/d3 and d8/d4 are more tools for the GM than anything else.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is like in Tri-Stat dX, you could change the die size to adjust difficulties and effects.

Upping the die size is a bell-curve approach to making things harder by +/- 3 for each die size (+/- 1 per die), so 3d6 averages 10.5, 3d8 averages 13.5, 3d10 averages 16.5, etc. but it has the advantage of increasing the spread of possible values.

So instead of -3 DX, a GM could require rolling 3d8/DX, +3 DX could instead be 3d4/DX. -6 DX could use 3d10/DX, etc.

At first glance, looking at the probabilities, it seems like you might just be able to add 1 to 3, 4, 5, 16, 17, and 18 for each die size above 3d6 and use 3, 4, 11, and 12 for 3d4 for the critical values but I haven't looked super closely at the numbers.

I can't tell if there's really an advantage to using different die sizes but maybe it helps with scaling, since roll-under systems don't scale very well compared to roll-over (roll-under has a cap and roll-over does not).

You can also get a (very) rough equivalence to adding/removing a die for each die size increase. Adding a die is actually 3.5 points harder and upping the die size is only 3 points harder.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Not yet, but we have ideas . . .
As do I now. Give a monkey a rock...

I can certainly see some potential for randomisation and procedural generation using the new dice. And possibly some new weapons that fall between others on the spectrum with different damage ranges. Could give fighters decisions to make instead of taking the default best for their ST level.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is like in Tri-Stat dX, you could change the die size to adjust difficulties and effects.
This would be a great use.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Anything you like! There are already some expansions that list uses for a three-sided die, and more and more expansions will use the dice in the future.

At the moment, the d12/d3 and d8/d4 are more tools for the GM than anything else.
It's not canon, but I have a map for TFT with Teleports that's available as a map from The Game Crafter and as a featured map in my forthcoming hex map book. Players roll a d3 to determine the destination hex.