Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 07-07-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
alforno

Default Instructions for printing MegaHex digital asset

I've been trying to get my digital megahexes to print at 1.5"/hex (or whatever the playmat scale is) and they don't seem to be setup for printing with US Letter, no margins, no header/footer, scale=100%. I looked around on the store pages for the megahexes and in my pdf, but found no instructions on how to print these. Did I misunderstand the purpose of the megahex pdfs? Are these meant to be printed and if so, where can I find instructions? If not, what is their intended use? Thank you.

UPDATE: I imported one of the megahex pdf pages into inkscape and it looks like it wants a 10"x12" area for 1:1 scale printing. I'll test this out and report back.

Final UPDATE: It's going to depend on what page you're printing, but for the full page megahexes it's 10"x12". The 14 hex dragon is 10"x5". Inkscape and GIMP (and probably other apps) will show the desired document size. I had my units set to pixels and so it wasn't clear to me until I changed units to inches what the page size was supposed to be.

Last edited by alforno; 07-08-2022 at 10:40 AM.
alforno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:19 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Instructions for printing MegaHex digital asset

If using Adobe Acrobat you can split single pages to be printed on multiple pages in the Print dialog. Look for the option to Print as a Poster. You can even print with some overlap, allowing you to cut and tape pages back together more easily.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:47 AM   #3
alforno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
If using Adobe Acrobat you can split single pages to be printed on multiple pages in the Print dialog. Look for the option to Print as a Poster. You can even print with some overlap, allowing you to cut and tape pages back together more easily.
That tip will come in handy. I've been manually breaking up big prints using InkScape and it's a pain.
alforno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:40 PM   #4
TerribleTony

Is there a reason that a PDF targeted at users to download and print on their own isn't designed to print natively on the size of paper they have?

I'll be honest, simple hexes seem like the kind of handout that should be a free download but to then pay $10 for something that wants me to track down special size paper (or go through the hassle of poster printing with all the cutting/taping etc. that entails) is just that much worse. Especially when it looks like the images could have been reorganized on the pages so that they fit on 8.5x11 and print at a scale that will match any printed megahexes I was to order from SJG in the future...
TerribleTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 04:06 AM   #5
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTony View Post
Is there a reason that a PDF targeted at users to download and print on their own isn't designed to print natively on the size of paper they have?

I'll be honest, simple hexes seem like the kind of handout that should be a free download but to then pay $10 for something that wants me to track down special size paper (or go through the hassle of poster printing with all the cutting/taping etc. that entails) is just that much worse. Especially when it looks like the images could have been reorganized on the pages so that they fit on 8.5x11 and print at a scale that will match any printed megahexes I was to order from SJG in the future...
What paper size do users have? Since there's no single answer, there's the answer to your question.

US Letter is perhaps the least standard, standard sized paper in the world, for example.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 05:12 PM   #6
TerribleTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
What paper size do users have? Since there's no single answer, there's the answer to your question.

US Letter is perhaps the least standard, standard sized paper in the world, for example.
I’d bet good money that 95% of SJG’s customers have A4 or Letter sized paper sitting in their printers right now. Their TFT products consistently seem designed to print well on neither. I wouldn’t be so upset but: you can’t get megahex set 1 in print unless you buy a $100+ box set and the general difficulty in getting TFT through local distributors (and lack of response on questions as to why) makes me assume digital is their primary market - and it honestly feels like they’re just selling us unaltered copies of the printers proofs. Which would be great if I had a plotting printer and wide assortment of paper and media sizes I guess?

I guess it’s an unpopular opinion but if you want to charge $10 for a pdf of some hexes I wouldn’t think spending a night or two on laying them out to fit on once again - the most common paper sizes in the world (A4 and Letter) is an unreasonable ask from your potential customers.
TerribleTony is offline   Reply With Quote