Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
Axly Suregrip

Default What to do about Great Hammers?

Maybe this has been brought up before. Great Hammer at ST 14 does the same damage as Bastard Sword used 2 handed at ST 13.

So, either Great Hammer damage should be increased to 2+3 or 3-1.

And it is not a fair comparison to the Pike Axe (ST 15 and 2+2) as that a pole arm, which gets plenty of other bonuses.

For the Great Hammer I am leaning towards 2+3.

I know that gives is more consistant damage than 2 handed sword (also at ST 14 and 3-1), but the higher maximum damage of teh 2 handed sword still makes it more attractive verses heavy armor.

Just curious how others have addressed this issue.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: What to do about Great Hammers?

I just look at this as "life is unfair." The difference between a halberd and a pike axe seems made up to me, given that a halberd is a pole axe. If you want more cost/benefit to weapon choice, GURPS is probably a better choice than TFT.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Shadekeep

I don't think it's necessary to increase the damage of the hammer. An edged weapon is, generally speaking, more likely to do harm to a living foe than a blunt weapon. I would be more inclined to house rule it another way.

For example, the ax/mace category of weapons would be more likely to stagger a foe than an edged weapon, thereby producing a DX-affecting or knockdown effect (see Reactions To Injury, ITL pg 118). So give hammers and such a bonus is that regard. Say that they inflict -2 DX at 4 damage instead of 5, and knock an enemy down at 6 damage instead of 8. This makes them attractive on their own for those effects rather than raw damage, and makes blunt weapon fighters a distinct kind of threat from swordfighters.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
For example, the ax/mace category of weapons would be more likely to stagger a foe than an edged weapon, thereby producing a DX-affecting or knockdown effect (see Reactions To Injury, ITL pg 118). So give hammers and such a bonus is that regard. Say that they inflict -2 DX at 4 damage instead of 5, and knock an enemy down at 6 damage instead of 8. This makes them attractive on their own for those effects rather than raw damage, and makes blunt weapon fighters a distinct kind of threat from swordfighters.
I suggest moving this to the house-rules forum, but this would be my approach as well. The damage profiles for weapons in TFT are extremely limited given the dependency on a single die type so better to create unique weapon 'traits' to differentiate them IMO.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I suggest moving this to the house-rules forum, but this would be my approach as well. The damage profiles for weapons in TFT are extremely limited given the dependency on a single die type so better to create unique weapon 'traits' to differentiate them IMO.
Agreed, this is basically a house rules question anyway. And I much prefer to have distinct effects rather than just a straight range of damage rolls. Otherwise why should a player prefer one weapon class over another?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
hcobb

My suggestion is to double armor against cutting weapons and halve the hits inflicted after armor of other attack types.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Axly Suregrip

Well the answers are house rules answers, but I put the question here since I believe this is an error in the game.

Thank you for your answers.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
hcobb

Bastard Sword 2-h damage has been errataed. (To be higher than Great Hammer) so the problem is solved.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
larsdangly

I'm not sure anything should be done here. Great hammer has an average of 9, 2-handed sword averages 9.5. But their distributions differ, with various effects. E.g., standard plate armor (5 pts protection) has a 1 in 12 chance of stopping all damage from a great hammer, but a 1 in 11 chance of stopping all damage from a two handed sword. Both differences are subtle, but they point in different directions. I don't think there is a clear statistical choice between the two when you consider all the situational variables.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #10
Skarg

For once, I agree with HCobb on something.

The 2d+2 two-handed damage for bastardswords was set back to its original 3d-2 value in errata.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote