Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Flint triggers in the Labyrinth

ITL 49 has gunpowder bomb traps. The possibilities are that either a wizard did it (brand enchantment time!), a suicidal hobgoblin was waiting to mess with the party, or the goblins have discovered how to make reliable flint sparking triggers.

In which case Arquebus should give way to clock or flint lock rifles.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Flint triggers in the Labyrinth

Care to explain your reasoning why having some mechanical way to detonate a grenade would need to imply a flintlock and what the significance of adding a flintlock to a TFT arquebuss might be?

Seems to me the word "rifle" refers to rifled barrels, not the ignition mechanism, and that other mechanisms might be possible (e.g. wheellock).

Also occurs to me that I don't think TFT says what arquebusses are, and the ignition mechanism might not make a huge difference in their TFT performance as written.

And it also seems to me that there are other ways to make a grenade trap that you didn't mention that might not be great improvements in arquebus technology. An obvious one would be to use a piece of an explosive mushroom (ITL 98) as the ignition device for the grenade, e.g. squished under a loose flagstone next to the grenade on a very short fuse.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote