Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Radio stun

Hello all!

So I've been thinking of making an affliction for a techno wizard (a literal techno wizard, who use a combination of technology and magic) to produce the following effect: Basically, he can use a drone (Gadget) to hack into radio networks (Requires Skill Roll: Electronic Operations: Communication), and turn the radio headsets (Accessibility: only on targets people using radio headset) into a noise emitting device that produces a loud high pitched noise (Sense-based) equivalent to a flashbang going off near their ear (Affliction: Stun), thus neutralizing a crowd of combatants using a radio headset. But the drone overclocks itself while it is running the stun and overheats and can only run that stun for 1 minute before requiring a lengthy cooling process, thus the ability can't be used again after it has cooled down (requiring at least a few hours) (Limited Use: 1 use).

How common would you rate "only on targets wearing radio headsets" in a modern world? And I can't seem to find the "Requires Skill Roll" in the Basic Set limitation, how much is that limitation worth again?

Thanks!

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 08-18-2016 at 02:10 AM.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Radio stun

-10% or so

Requires Skill Roll is a -0% Feature for an ability that already requires a roll. If it doesn't add "Requires Attribute Roll".

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Default Re: Radio stun

Requires Skill Roll is a variant of Requires (Attribute) Roll, Powers p112. Note the parens, to make it extra fun to search. Some of the information is a bit scattered. (See "Skills for Everyone" in Powers.) See also PU8, Limitations, p17, for the collected details. Usually -10% for a Hard skill. Difficulty of skill, and whether or not it's a straight skill roll or Contest affect the price.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote