Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
Anders

Default Questions about Delay, Trigger

Do I need some kind of Extended Duration to make this work or can I just say "When a person steps here" and it will work fine in a thousand years?
Old 07-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
Willy

Default Re: Questions about Delay, Trigger

I would say it depends on the trigger. A reality check would say that certain materials just decay after a certain time. So if you plan for a longer active time you should think about the available mechanisms.

I simply don´t know neither the TL or which sort of trigger for what reason you plan, and without that everything more is pure speculation.

Of course the GM always has the last word.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Per Kromm, Triggered Delay has indefinite duration (until triggered). A thousand years, a million years, 10^1500 years until all stellar remnants have fused to iron thanks to quantum tunneling of entire nuclei together...

Delay does have a requirement for a condition that will prematurely end the effect. GMs that want to impose a time limit could always require adding "... or T amount of time has passed" to all terminating conditions.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #4
Rolando

If it is the Delay Advantage modifier (Basic: Characters, p. 105) it says what you describe uses the Triggered Delay (50%).

No need to add a duration for this delay to be triggered, as long as you define the triggering condition it will stay there until the condition happen.

If you say the trigger is "when a person step here" it will stay there until a person step there. If it is a platform and the platform is destroyed then no one will even step on the platform (as it doesn't exist now) and the advantage of whatever is triggered will be "disabled", as I understand it. You GM may rule otherwise though.

If you mean the Delay Spell (Magic, p. 130) it last for 2 hours (cost of 3 to maintain for each 2 hours period), you will need to make a Link spell magic item, with the specific triggering condition, to make it work indefinitely.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:55 AM   #5
Anders

Ok, thanks everybody.

Tags
enhancements