Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Altered Time Rate (Manual Tasks Only, -xx%)

Let us imagine a different ability:

ATR 10 (Arms Only, -20%; Non-Combat Speed, -60%) [200]
ATR 10 (Alternative Ability; Legs Only, -20%; Non-Combat Speed, -60%) [40]
ATR 10 (Alternative Ability; Head Only, -50%; Non-Combat Speed, -60%) [40]
Extra Attack 8 (Alternative Ability; Arms Only, -20%; Multistrike, +20%) [40]

For 320 CP, you are capable of nine attacks per turn wit your arms, thinking 100x as fast as a human outside of combat, moving 100x as fast as a human outside of combat, or building 100x as fast as a human outside of combat.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:11 AM   #12
Taneli

How about Extra Attack (also for non-combat things, +yy%)?

Like, when you’re hammering nails and can hammer like, say 5 nails in the time it takes to hammer one, when you have 4 levels of this trait?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #13
Anders

It's an alternative build of the same idea, but Extra Attack can be used with kicks, bites, innate attacks and so on. Altered Time Rate is probably cleaner.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Let us imagine a different ability:

ATR 10 (Arms Only, -20%; Non-Combat Speed, -60%) [200]
ATR 10 (Alternative Ability; Legs Only, -20%; Non-Combat Speed, -60%) [40]
ATR 10 (Alternative Ability; Head Only, -50%; Non-Combat Speed, -60%) [40]
Extra Attack 8 (Alternative Ability; Arms Only, -20%; Multistrike, +20%) [40]

For 320 CP, you are capable of nine attacks per turn wit your arms, thinking 100x as fast as a human outside of combat, moving 100x as fast as a human outside of combat, or building 100x as fast as a human outside of combat.
Assuming you can build without looking or thinking, just going by muscle memory.
And run without reacting to the environment, or dodging any tree branch, ...

And I am dubious on ATR 10 (Head Only, -50%; Non-Combat Speed, -60%) for thinking...

For some reason, my GM sense are screaming "abuse" when I look at the ATR part of that build.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #15
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Assuming you can build without looking or thinking, just going by muscle memory.
And run without reacting to the environment, or dodging any tree branch, ...

And I am dubious on ATR 10 (Head Only, -50%; Non-Combat Speed, -60%) for thinking...

For some reason, my GM sense are screaming "abuse" when I look at the ATR part of that build.
Avoiding objects outside of combat is non-combat by definition. Anyway, it is no worse than Enhanced Move (Ground), though it allows for better acceleration or maneuverability, but without any increase in slamming damage. The equivalent would be Enhanced Move 6.5 (Ground; Cosmic, Instant Acceleration, +50%; Cosmic, Perfect Maneuverability, +50%) [260].
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Avoiding objects outside of combat is non-combat by definition. Anyway, it is no worse than Enhanced Move (Ground), though it allows for better acceleration or maneuverability, but without any increase in slamming damage. The equivalent would be Enhanced Move 6.5 (Ground; Cosmic, Instant Acceleration, +50%; Cosmic, Perfect Maneuverability, +50%) [260].
In your build, the ATR(leg only), which I assume you use for running, imply you move your legs incredibly fast (cartoon-like) but the rest of your body act and react at normal speed ...
At close to 1km/s, your upper body won't avoid anything, outside combat or not.
The price is close (before AA) from the Enhanced move build, but I think the EM build would be cleaner.

The ATR(arms only, Non-Combat Speed), I would certainly allow for anything made with hands that can be covered by muscle memory, or everything made with hands if you add ETS.

The ATR(head only) ... that one, I am sceptical.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Altered Time Rate (Manual tasks only, -xx%)? This would allow the character to do more than one manual task per round, so he can't move or talk or concentrate. He can attack more than once, provided it's an attack that uses the arms/hands - so he can't kick or bite - and he can't use any one limb more than once. This is meant for creatures with more than two arms, so bear that in mind. I'm tempted to put this at -40% to -60%, probably closer to -40%. What do you think?
I have heard, ad nauseam, that ATR only gives you one extra maneuvre per turn and absolutley nothing else, despite what the text says and even though that leaves no way to build various abilities that are seen in literature etc.

If that position is correct, then I don't think ATR can do what you propose here.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altered time rate, limitations