Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #11
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: How do I create a healer?

Healing Power {Healing (Magical, -10%; Contact Agent, -30%; FP Cap, 4 FP -20%; Takes Extra Time 1, takes 2 seconds, -10%; Reliable +4, +20%) + Slow Regeneration (Magical, -10%)} [24]

Taking the ideas that I like from Gumby and john, with an eye toward getting good utility at a below market cost 🙂 And speaking of ideas, Is "Cannot Restore Crippled Limbs -10%" a canonical limitation? I don't remember it, and I'd probably have just pegged it as a Nuisance limiter. If that is an official value, it's definitely worth replacing TET with that (or even having both). Having one chance to restore a crippled limb on an 8- (w/ Reliable) is a good reason to take a remove function limitation. Contact Agent gives you some trouble if the subject is wearing armor, but it looks good on a beginning healer, and the discount is good. FP Cap is a good idea, but setting it at two FP keeps you from healing serious wounds (and slightly more annoying illnesses, as I'm leaving in Cure Disease. Injuries Only is another good mod to include if that won't be much of a consideration for you), so I dropped the limit one notch. As john said, Reliable +4 gives you a good base chance, and seems to fit the concept better than +10. Slow Regen with Magical saves you 6 points over the cost of self-Healing, and I like the utility/cost ratio. A lot of people aren't as thrilled with it, so if you don't mind sucking up that extra cost, go ahead and replace it with Affects Self +50%.

The main thing you want, keeping in mind the cost AND the concept, is to get as many limitations as you can to bring the final cost down to what you're willing to pay. A lot of them will probably be ones that you'll want to buy off over time anyway.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #12
Edeldhur

Wow, I didn't remember how alive and active the SJ GURPS forum is - thanks a lot for all the feedback guys!

Like 'Not another shrubbery', I am leaning into a mix of things - I like a lot the idea of using Sorcery, since it is an integral part of the game, but also because it leaves the door open for me to add other 'spells'/'abilities'/'powers' in the future, at a reduced cost. Right?

I am aware it has its limitations (even if I am not too familiar with them, again), but seems like it could be the way to, as the game progresses, pile on some interesting 'divine-inspired' powers on my archer, along with the healing capabilities.

By the way, in my game Sorcery costs 9 points/level, and I cannot have above level 3 in it for now. Also as far as Alternative Abilities go, Sorcery counts as the 'main' power. I guess Healing would be the second.

So it seems I could probably have Sorc3 (27 points) + a heavily modified Healing, for example along the lines of:

Affects Self (+50%)
Reduced Fatigue Cost 1 (+20%)
Reliable 4 (+20%)
Injuries only -20%
Cannot Restore Crippled Limbs -10%
Takes Extra Time 1, takes 2 seconds, (-10%)
Contact Agent (-30%)
FP Cap, 4 FP (-20%)
Magic (-10%)

The rules (maybe a house rule), states my first Alternative Ability cannot cost more than the 'base/higher' one, and this modified Healing costs 27 points, so it could be done (27/5 would end in a net cost of 6 I believe). This means I could have Sorcery 3 + a decent Heal for a total of 33 points?

Does it look decent?
Edeldhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #13
Anders

You could do Healing as the main power and Sorcery as an Alternate. It wouldn't break anything.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
Edeldhur

Hmmmm, I think the GM wants us to have Sorcery as the 'main'
Old 08-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

If I remember correctly, everything in Sorcery is built as an alternative ability off of your Sorcery Pool (so a character with a Sorcery Pool 25 would only be able to purchase an ability with a maximum value of 25 CP before being reduced to one-fifth normal cost). Since you are going to have to invest points in the Sorcery Pool, I would suggest taking Healing (Based on DX, +20%; Injuries Only, -20%; Magical, -10%; Takes Extra Time 1, -10%) [24 > 5] and Regeneration (Regular; Magical, -10%) [24 > 5]. With 35 CP (25 CP for the Sorcery Pool, 5 CP for Healing, and 5 CP for Regeneration), you could become a somewhat effective healer.

Based on DX is probably better for an archer because they are likely DX 14+. It costs as much a Reliable 4, so it really does depend on the difference in IQ and DX. Alternatively, you could have Based on HT, Based on Per, or Based on Will if they are the highest trait and if they are 4+ levels better than IQ.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #16
Gumby Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
And speaking of ideas, Is "Cannot Restore Crippled Limbs -10%" a canonical limitation? I don't remember it, and I'd probably have just pegged it as a Nuisance limiter. If that is an official value, it's definitely worth replacing TET with that (or even having both).
I agree with your instinct, but yeah, that's what Thaumatology: Sorcery pegs it at (it's part of its build of Minor Healing).
Old 08-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #17
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
If I remember correctly, everything in Sorcery is built as an alternative ability off of your Sorcery Pool...
Yes, this is correct. As long as the final spell's cost is equal or less that your 'sorcery power' it's valid & the actual cost is 1/5 its "full cost".
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:52 AM   #18
Edeldhur

@Varyon just a note to thank you for the alternative method you put forth - I am indeed looking for a more tactical approach this time around ;)

In the end, I have gone with the Sorcery + Alternative abilities this time around - not because I think it is better, but mostly because it matches one of the rulesets the GM wants to use, and because it seems to leave the door open for more powers in the future.

So now I have:

> Sorcery 3 (27 points)
> Healing (6 points)
Affects Self (+50%),
Reduced Fatigue Cost 1 (+20%),
Reliable 4 (+20%),
Injuries only -20%,
Cannot Restore Crippled Limbs -10%,
Takes Extra Time 1, takes 2 seconds, (-10%),
Contact Agent (-30%)
FP Cap, 4 FP (-20%),
Magic (-10%)"

What do you think? I haven't yet actually tried to use it, but I will keep you guys updated on how it goes ;)

Thank you for all the input!
Old 08-06-2020, 05:12 AM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edeldhur View Post
I have gone with the Sorcery + Alternative abilities this time around ... because it seems to leave the door open for more powers in the future.
It certainly does that.
Quote:
What do you think? I haven't yet actually tried to use it, but I will keep you guys updated on how it goes ;)
That should work OK. Buying off some of its limitations will be worthwhile.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
healing, powers