Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
Illusion158

Default Acidic Weapon?

Hello all. I'm playing a mage/blacksmith in a new game who mainly uses magic to augment her blades (was going to be an enchanter, but as it takes years I scrapped that for just focusing on weapon buffs). As such, the various elemental weapon spells are a must have. I know the normal magic book doesn't have an Acidic Weapon variant, but I could have SWORN I have seen it somewhere. Sadly I have not been able to find it. I was hoping someone here might know what book/pyramid it might be in. Or tell me that I'm just crazy and it doesn't exist. XD

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the forums btw, my search-fu is not always the best.
Illusion158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Acidic Weapon?

I recommend Imbuement skills myself. But if you want to go with regular Magic just use the stats for Flaming Weapon.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
Anders

Corrosive is quite a bit worse than flaming, though (since it eats through armor). I would add 1 or 2 points to casting and maintenance cost.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Corrosive is quite a bit worse than flaming, though (since it eats through armor). I would add 1 or 2 points to casting and maintenance cost.
Sure, if you want to switch it to Corr damage type thats fair. But an acid strong enough to burn skin doesnt have to be strong enough to burn armor.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion158 View Post
the various elemental weapon spells are a must have.
I know the normal magic book doesn't have an Acidic Weapon variant, but I could have SWORN I have seen it somewhere.
Closest I can weapon is P140 Water Blade which is a Corrosive Attack w/ melee and armor divisor.

by comparing Icy Weapon (M185) and Snow Jet (M186) maybe Acid Jet (M182) could back-derive "Acid Weapon" ?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Corrosive is quite a bit worse than flaming, though (since it eats through armor).
Given that flaming weapon per RAW is applied after DR (and it's not even a follow-up, though it should be), an equivalent acid weapon would also apply after DR and thus damage to armor would be irrelevant. Even if you change that, corroding armor requires 5 damage in one second, and flaming is +2 damage, so you'd need to hit three times with the same weapon in the same second for the corrosion to be relevant.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Given that flaming weapon per RAW is applied after DR (and it's not even a follow-up, though it should be), an equivalent acid weapon would also apply after DR and thus damage to armor would be irrelevant. Even if you change that, corroding armor requires 5 damage in one second, and flaming is +2 damage, so you'd need to hit three times with the same weapon in the same second for the corrosion to be relevant.
Even if the damage ignores the DR, it should still do its corrosive thing.

And, I would have assumed that the entire damage is corrosive rather than just a +2.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
And, I would have assumed that the entire damage is corrosive rather than just a +2.
No, only the 2 points are elemental damage. That's pretty clear, since the base damage still gets normal wounding modifiers for its damage type.