Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-21-2021, 10:12 AM   #121
Kieddicus

Default Re: Show me the magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
P.S. This is actually a prerequisite for creating arcane foci (wizard's staff, talismans, wands, etc.) in my game.
I see you are much nicer than I am. I require a week long ritual imbuing their staff with their soul that slowly saps the wizard's ST making it so they cannot gain any ST from resting. (Even sleeping won't help them.) During this time they must dedicate themselves to carving and meditating over their staff. And if they fail the spell roll at the end they must start from squire one.

I mostly do this to have staff making be an initiative ritual for wizards that makes they deeply connected to their staves. It also prevents the 6 second 5 ST to fix a broken staff, rather than try and get it back.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #122
TippetsTX

Well, the 'ritual of attunement' doesn't include the time required to actually create the chosen arcane focus so we're probably not too far separated in our approaches. ;)

Last edited by TippetsTX; 04-21-2021 at 01:47 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:35 AM   #123
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Correct. Permanence has a price and ATTUNEMENT is a serious ritual in my game. The wizard essentially imbues the object with a sliver of his soul.
Yikes! That's getting close to being a Horcrux. All it lacks is the destruction of that piece of soul when the item gets destroyed. Now that would be nasty.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #124
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Yikes! That's getting close to being a Horcrux. All it lacks is the destruction of that piece of soul when the item gets destroyed. Now that would be nasty.
It's only a sliver (read in the voice for "it's only a model" from The Holy Grail), but yes, destroying an 'attuned' arcane focus does have detrimental effects on the wizard in my game.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 04-22-2021 at 09:48 AM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #125
Kieddicus

I am not even sure I want a heal spell in TFT but I do find it fun trying to figure out how things could be done so here are a few ideas I thought up for heal spells.

IQ 9* - Aid (T)
A change to the aid spell

Allow wizards to maintain the aid spell past the normal 2 turns by using their action (choosing the cast spell option). This will allow you to stabilize someone while you wait for help (or walk to town at 1 hex per turn) but not actually allow you to keep your party topped off while out adventuring.
*This of course would make Aid a stronger spell so it might need to have a high IQ requirement.

IQ (TBD) - Rapid Regrowth(T) (T)

Kick targets natural healing abilities into overdrive fully healing them but giving them 2 fatigue for every 1 hit healed. This spell takes 6 turns to cast.
As for the cost to the wizard I haven't decided yet, but it shouldn't be too high as most of the cost is payed by the target. (You most heal the full amount.)

IQ (TBD) - Aberrant Amelioration (T)

Heal target for 2d of damage. Cost 2 per hit healed. Thus a wizard can easily kill themselves if they roll high on the healing dice. (Could be 3 per hit healed if wizards are using this spell to much.)
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:21 PM   #126
MGregory

IQ 16 Wizard's Oath (S) - This form of Geas is cast upon wizards prior to their audience with a sovereign, guild leader, or access into the inner sanctum and is intended to prevent them from casting malicious or harmful spells. While under the oath, the base difficulty of all spells increase to 5 dice, fST costs are 50% higher, and the caster is instantaneously alerted to the attempt and the spell's nature. Cost: 3 fST Duration: 1 day

IQ 16 Wizard's Pledge (S) - The lessor form of Wizard's Oath. Alerts the caster if the subject attempts to cast a spell. All spells cast by the subject are 4 dice difficulty. Cost: 2 fST Duration: 1 day.

Notes: To successfully cast these spells, the subject of the Oath or Pledge must agree to the duration (up to 1 day) and terms.
There is no 3/DX roll for success. The caster knows if the spell was successfull. If the Oath or Pledge is then broken during the agreeed duration, the caster will instantly know who broke the terms (if there were multiple subjects) and what spell they attempted to cast.
MGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:24 PM   #127
timm meyers

IQ 14 Summon Weapon/armor: (C)
Wizard manifests a weapon or armor composed of their magic essence (mana?) for their personal use only. The weapon/armor appears in their hands or body, and can be any type listed. The wizard gains the base talent to use the weapon while the spell is in effect. The item must be a singular creation so a bow does not manifest with arrows etc. Armor effects DX and MA as normal.
Cost: 3 ST, plus 1 per turn.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #128
phiwum

It's not explicit in your description, but I presume that summoned metal armor doesn't affect spellcasting? Or do they summon silver variants?
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #129
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
IQ 14 Summon Weapon/armor: (C)
Wizard manifests a weapon or armor composed of their magic essence (mana?) for their personal use only. The weapon/armor appears in their hands or body, and can be any type listed. The wizard gains the base talent to use the weapon while the spell is in effect. The item must be a singular creation so a bow does not manifest with arrows etc. Armor effects DX and MA as normal.
Cost: 3 ST, plus 1 per turn.
This requires Destroy Creation to negate, which can create some interesting tactical twists, but that seems like a small incentive when you can't take advantage of a C spell's potential range and, at only 13 IQ, you can get the equivalent of half-plate protection for a lower ST cost through Stone Flesh. Summoning a weapon that grants the talent to use it is cool, but I'd probably give it a fixed duration.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #130
timm meyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
It's not explicit in your description, but I presume that summoned metal armor doesn't affect spellcasting? Or do they summon silver variants?
Yes I meant to note that the item is made of "mana" so does not inhibit casting.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote