Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #11
Imbicatus

Default Re: Weapon enhancement for double knockback?

I think I’d make it limited to unbalanced weapons only and make it mutually exclusive with dwarven.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:13 PM   #12
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
If I were a wizard and you let me, I'd want it... which might support your feeling. But now I have this image of a wizard with a trollish staff knocking foes back.
Don’t get too excited, unless what you’re really interested in is a wizard occasionally knocking back a Dinoman or something equally weak. Your average orc (ST 12) needs to suffer 10 pts of basic crushing damage to get knocked back one yard. With Trollish, he gets knocked back two yards. How many times is your basic wizard: (a) doing 10 pts of damage with the staff, and (b) in melee? Yes, it’s cool, and I like it, but it’s going to be far more effective in monsters’ hands, like when a troll hits Argua the Barbarian for 20 crushing and knocks her back two yards (with a halfway decent chance she falls). Or hits Uncle Seamus the Wizard for that same amount and knocks him back FOUR yards as he teeters a few HP away from his first death check. Heh heh.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #13
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
Don’t get too excited, unless what you’re really interested in is a wizard occasionally knocking back a Dinoman or something equally weak.
Even a dinoman needs to get hit with 9 crushing to get knocked back. Maybe the wizard can knock doomchildren, horde pygmies, or big spiders around once in a while.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #14
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
I think I’d make it limited to unbalanced weapons only and make it mutually exclusive with dwarven.
It is mutually exclusive with Dwarven and Elven because dwarves and elves hate trolls and vice versa. Putting them on the same weapon would lead to infighting.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #15
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
There is now!

I would limit it to axe (maybe), club, and hammer style weapons personally. Definitely appropriate for any weapon that enhances or emulates punching and kicking, like a cestus or punching dagger. Polearms probably not, mauls YES
TBH, I think it might just be easier to limit it to weapons doing crushing damage.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #16
benz72

Now that I think about it, this would be a great enhancement or enchantment for a shield.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #17
Polkageist

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Now that I think about it, this would be a great enhancement or enchantment for a shield.
Absolutely.
Knockback is one of those things that's easy to overlook, because it's extra math *after* the damage and most of the time I as the GM or the players want to get to the next action. And usually it's not all that important. So it's probably not game breaking at all to roll with it applicable to any 'cr' damage dealer.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
Anders

On the other hand, I really want it to apply to "troll" weapons and shields... I don't know. Maybe +5 CF for non-Troll weapons.

Troll weapons would basically be clubs, maces, and anything with spikes.

Tags
enhancements, weapons