Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
Dalin

Default Recovering from a crippling critical miss

In our most recent game, my character critically missed and rolled a 15:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits, p. 101
15 – You strain your shoulder! Your weapon arm is “crippled.” You don’t have to drop your weapon, but you cannot use it – to attack or defend – for 30 minutes.
With regular temporary crippling injuries (Exploits, p. 61), you recover once you're back at full HP. In this case, however, you could throw out your shoulder without taking any damage. Is there any way (magical or natural) to speed the recovery?

My instinct is to require healing the minimum injury needed to cripple the limb. Since my character has 12 HP, he would need to heal 7 HP (via spell or potion) to recover in less than 30 minutes. Does that seem balanced?

In this case, my character has plenty of backup, so he may not bother, but I'm curious about the situation in theory, especially when lives are on the line and magical healing is available.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Recovering from a crippling critical miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
In our most recent game, my character critically missed and rolled a 15:
My instinct is to require healing the minimum injury needed to cripple the limb. Since my character has 12 HP, he would need to heal 7 HP (via spell or potion) to recover in less than 30 minutes. Does that seem balanced?.
My tendency would be to rule this is obviously such a trivial injury (it goes away on it's own in 30 minutes!) that even 1 HP of healing would be plenty if applied directly for this purpose. I'd probably even let somebody else roll vs. First Aid roll pop your joint back into place or whatever - if they mess up, well, now you have an amount of damage you need to heal before you recover.....

If you are stacking it with healing other damage, then sure letting curing at least the minimum crippling injury elsewhere include curing this seems fair enough.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
bert

Dito here. First aid or any healing spell would remove the strain.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Dalin

Thanks for the suggestions!

At our last game, my GM agreed that any healing or first aid would do the trick. My cleric, Zafir, was thus able to reenter the fray (after stepping away to heal his shoulder) and whup some horde pygmies and corpse golems with Matarab, his flaming morningstar. It was exceedingly cathartic.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crippled limb, crippling injuries, critical failure, healing