Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #21
Jabani

Default Re: [DF] Armor Cost and Low Tech

Those are some good things to think about, Bruno. What armor types do you allow?

Edit: I think I may also ignore the stuff about Hard of Hearing and possibly No Peripheral Vision. We'll see how quickly the players pick the rules up.

Last edited by Jabani; 06-24-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Jabani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #22
Bruno

I have the full list of revisions up on my wiki along with an Armor List with all that stuff already done for players.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #23
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Magical improvements stop working in Low Mana and No Mana, and critically important is that magical improvements suffer "armor damage" and fall off even if you are never tracking armor damage for mundane qualities.

If you aren't tracking armor penetration, I'd multiply the cost of magical enhancements by 5. (energy or dollar cost, which ever suits your sense of order and reason more).
Can you reference the rules in question? I'm having trouble finding them, unless you just mean 'magic goes away when stuff is broken'.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Can you reference the rules in question? I'm having trouble finding them, unless you just mean 'magic goes away when stuff is broken'.
She's talking about the rule on Magic p. 66.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
She's talking about the rule on Magic p. 66.
Yup, that's the one. I'm leaning towards "screw this book-keeping, this is DF" and just increasing the enchantment cost as per something like my previous suggestion.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Yup, that's the one. I'm leaning towards "screw this book-keeping, this is DF" and just increasing the enchantment cost as per something like my previous suggestion.
At it's fundamental level DF is a resource management game; what's "armor penetrations" but another resource for the players to manage?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #27
Jabani

Quote:
I have the full list of revisions up on my wiki along with an Armor List with all that stuff already done for players.
Veddy nice. Thanks!

Quote:
At it's fundamental level DF is a resource management game; what's "armor penetrations" but another resource for the players to manage?
On one level, you're definitely right, but on another level, armor penetrations doesn't sound like the fun kind of resource to track. Or maybe I just haven't used it and seen the intriguing tactical possibilities :).
Jabani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabani View Post
On one level, you're definitely right, but on another level, armor penetrations doesn't sound like the fun kind of resource to track. Or maybe I just haven't used it and seen the intriguing tactical possibilities :).
It's not a particularly complicated resource to track, just put a tic-mark on a sheet, and erase them all when someone casts the Repair spell, which, if your mage can't cast it, is a spell that you should probably get cast every time you return to town. In practice it's uncommon for penetrations to be a problem unless you're using very light armor, and even at DR 0-1 armor (5 penetrations to wreck it), you tend to run out of HP before you run out of penetrations.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabani View Post
Not any different from tracking arrows, and IMO less annoying than tracking meals and water.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #30
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
But I've also forbidden TL 4 armor, and adjusted cloth and leather and scale armor with some deliberately unrealistic weights so that the lower end of the DR range has upgrade paths that don't lead immediately to "get cheap thin plate". Purely for the aesthetic purpose of having people in cheap light armor not wearing DR 2 cheap plate or whatever.
In my fantasy games, I forbid cheap TL4 armor, this makes plate a very good, but very expensive armor, If you don't have money to buy plate, you are pretty good with mail.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, low-tech