Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: Low Tech

As someone who just purchased Low-Tech at a new FLGS - after the old one went out of business while LT was still on back-order *grumblegrumble* - I'm happy with how it turned out. I probably would have appreciated the Companions being made into a series of Appendixes in the main LT text, but I understand the business reasons for splitting things. I'm just sad that - being on a cash-only basis - the companions (and most e23 products) are out of my reach at the moment.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrm4 View Post
I would rather pay more to have it all in one hardback then strewn across a hardback and multiple PDFs. I would have saved some money as well.
Unfortunately, doing it that way would've meant not releasing Low-Tech as a hardback book at all. Our research and experience shows that the market currently doesn't support big $35-40 books as well as it does smaller $25-30 ones. The average gamer doesn't have a lot of extra money right now -- given a choice between two books, s/he's likely to buy the cheaper one even if s/he'd normally prefer the more expensive one.

Yes, that's a huge step backward from 2004 and the original Fourth Edition plan of "Lots of huge hardbacks!" But that was before our country -- followed by pretty much the entire world -- started having a massive financial crisis leading to the current recession. (Reminder: The discussion of which is off topic in this forum!)

Anyway, I must disagree with the viewpoint that this is "splitting things up." The material found in the LTCs is supplemental material, quite simply. It never had a chance of making it into the Low-Tech hardback, which was planned out as a 160-pager from Day One of discussing it. We decided to support Low-Tech with a series of PDFs on e23 because we thought it'd be a popular book . . . but those PDFs are definitely separate products, and they were always going to be.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
Grouchy Chris

I got my Low-Tech hard copy a few days ago, and I'd just like to say that I like the paper. It's less glossy than the paper used in every other GURPS hardback I've got. It's still high-quality paper, but the more matte finish means it reflects less glare and is easier to read.

Compared to everything else that this book did well that might seem like small potatoes, but I liked it and I thought it was worth noting.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris
I got my Low-Tech hard copy a few days ago, and I'd just like to say that I like the paper. It's less glossy than the paper used in every other GURPS hardback I've got. It's still high-quality paper, but the more matte finish means it reflects less glare and is easier to read.
... Wow, you've got a good eye to detect that. I would not have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it, and then, only by comparing it side-by-side with Martial Arts. It's not enough of a difference to complain about the older books by my inspection, but the reduced shine is a little friendlier.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
adm

Wow, the paper was one of the first things I noticed, the reduced glare, the slightly rougher feel, and that it is also slightly thicker. I like it, and think it is a very good improvement.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Wow, the paper was one of the first things I noticed, the reduced glare, the slightly rougher feel, and that it is also slightly thicker. I like it, and think it is a very good improvement.
Yeah, I really don't like high-gloss paper. Consider me also in the camp that likes LT better.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #17
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Anyway, I must disagree with the viewpoint that this is "splitting things up." The material found in the LTCs is supplemental material, quite simply. It never had a chance of making it into the Low-Tech hardback, which was planned out as a 160-pager from Day One of discussing it. We decided to support Low-Tech with a series of PDFs on e23 because we thought it'd be a popular book . . . but those PDFs are definitely separate products, and they were always going to be.
I am still waiting for my copy of Low-Tech (long story that I keep going on about, but is one hard book to buy!) so I have formed my opinion on it being supplemental entirely form the E23 preview.

That said I did wonder if the 3 companions format was the best option as opposed to say another 160 page hardback. But given that all of the PDF sales seem to have been good and the hardback sales not so much maybe that answers my speculation.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
Bruno

I got my comp copy last week too (Thanks SJG!) and I'd noticed something different about it, but hadn't realized it was the paper finish. Now that you mention it, that's exactly it. I like it!

I also like the new packing, no scrunched corners. My CAT loves the packing peanuts that come with it too :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #19
sn0wball

I donīt want to miss the opportunity to bemoan that GURPS Low Tech for 4e is still not available via amazon.de . I know, I can purchase it directly from Warehouse 23, but purchasing via a German reseller is much more convenient for me and usually cheaper as well. I have no idea how products become listed with amazon, but if the publisher can do anything about it, SJ games probably should.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
Phantasm

Actually, amending my last post. There is one thing with Low-Tech that's kinda bothering me.

Armor Locations.

I don't have it with me right now, so I can't give page numbers, but in the armor locations table for determining the cost and weight percentages, it also gives stuff like "covers locations 3-5". I recognize this from GURPS 3e, but last I checked GURPS 4e had stopped using that notation. Why did Low-Tech revive it?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech