Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
DanHoward

Default Re: [Low-Tech]What are the stats for Light Leather?

I can't understand why anyone would want this stuff as armour. The most common threat on any battlefield is from spears and arrows. In a civilian context the main threat is from clubs and knives. Light leather has DR 0 against all of these threats. Anyone who is only worried about getting cut in a fight has his priorities seriously screwed up.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want this stuff as armour. The most common threat on any battlefield is from spears and arrows. In a civilian context the main threat is from clubs and knives. Light leather has DR 0 against all of these threats. Anyone who is only worried about getting cut in a fight has his priorities seriously screwed up.
Fight?

How about if someone is worried about falling from his bike/horse/low-flying carpet?

In such cases, light leather is appropriate. Also, in settings with magic, it could be a decent starting point for a light enchanted protective suit. It has always been a problem that clothing couldn't be easily given cost and weight for individual pieces.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Fight?

How about if someone is worried about falling from his bike/horse/low-flying carpet?

In such cases, light leather is appropriate.
Really? What is the DR of light leather vs crushing?

Edit: I have a leather jacket made from sheepskin and a denim jacket. Even though the demin jacket is lighter I'd trust that to protect me better than the leather one any time. A motorbike jacket is completely different. Low-Tech would classify that as medium leather.

Last edited by DanHoward; 02-01-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Fight?

Then light leather would give minor protection from surface abrasions, much like any other clothing that could qualify as "winter clothing." Heck, jeans and a jacket would do about as well. But those are really sub-1-HP extras on top of the impact damage from such a fall. For some reason people find surface abrasions and minor cuts to be more of a concern than the heavy bruising that goes with it, even though such bruising is much more actual damage. As such, that light protection has value to them, even if it doesn't significantly affect the real injury by any notable amount.

Though we can at least back-engineer the costs if desired. Like in the OP, working off the cost of clothing for a Status-0 person in a typical TL3 fantasy setting, we get $60 and 5/3 of a pound (Which I'd probably round to 1.5 for simplicity) for torso "armor" made of light leather. Makes it somewhat cheaper and significantly lighter than armor-weight leather. I would assume most of the cost differences for clothing away from Status-0 would be matters of quality of materials, tailoring, decoration, and other such traits that wouldn't matter in this context or would be adjusted by the usual armor-modification methods.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
Trachmyr

It's been discussed in a number of threads (including this one)... a good extrapolation using the erata'd rules is $30 & 3 pounds for Light Leather (DR1 vs. Cut only).
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

I don't see a reason why basing it on status is problematic: you can still buy lower status clothing than your status, it just looks like lower status clothing. For example, I would imagine lower status fur clothing would be cobbled together from multiple cut-off sections, and have a "patchy" look, while high status leather may consist of a single piece, perhaps from a large animal like a bear. Similarly, low class leather may be less well decorated and designed, and just look shoddy. It still offers the same level of protection, but it looks bad!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
DanHoward

The first time this came up I said

Quote:
Price is based on the Cost of Living like all clothing. If you are Struggling then use rabbit or coon skin. If you are a king then use ermine or mink.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #18
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
The main use I can see is protecting against animal bites and claws. Especially if you use edge protection and infection rules.

A wolf, dog, bobcat, velociraptor or other medium sized carnivore doing 1d-2 cutting will do 2-3 points of damage on average and risk an infected wound against an unarmoured person, but only around half that with a good chance of not penetrating the skin against someone wearing light leather.

That wasn't really a big deal on a historical battlefield, but in a lot of fantasy games there is a very good chance of being attacked by animals on a fairly regular basis.

I'd also argue that light leather should offer DR 1 against Burning and Corrosion damage, but that's probably just me.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #19
DanHoward

There is no way that light leather should have a better DR than winter clothing.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #20
Bruno

Quote:
Really? What is the DR of light leather vs crushing?
Abrasion isn't crushing. Or cutting. Or piercing or impaling or corrosion or burning. It actually doesn't have a proper damage type in GURPS - I don't really blame GURPS for this, because it REALLY doesn't come up often in adventures, unless Batman is captured by The Mad Woodworker who straps him to a table and condemns him to death by belt sander or something, and even then his regular body armor will probably protect him.

If we ever came up with an Abrasion damage type, I'd totally give light leather DR 1 against it, too.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, low-tech