Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
Empada

Default Innate Attack (burning) VS. Car Gas tank

Hi, I have a player who want to use his telekinetic innate attack (burn, 1d) to set a car on fire, attacking the vehicle gas tank, and I'm not sure how to handle it.

for hitting the tank he has to see it or have some idea of where it is?

his attack has No Signature and I have no idea if the enemy can notice him doing the attacks.

also, where do I look how much damage is necessary to it start the fire or blown up the car?

thanks
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Innate Attack (burning) VS. Car Gas tank

4e RAW doesn't go into a huge amount of detail on vehicles. Rules are on B462; the Vehicle Hit Location Table is on B554. Fuel tanks are an example of a "Vital Area" (hit location 17-18, or targeted at -3).

Realistically, putting a lot of fire into a car's fuel tank would do pretty much nothing. Gasoline doesn't burn unless it's mixed with oxygen. (Consider all the elaborate machinery like fuel pumps, carburetors, fuel injectors, valves, and camshafts to try to get fuel mixed with air in the cylinders in the proper ratio to explode.) You'd really want to riddle the tank with holes, give it some time to leak out, and set fire to the puddle. Air magic might help more than fire magic.

But if it suits your Rule of Cool (because who doesn't like exploding cars?), then treat that vital area as "explosive", or at least "combustible".

Last edited by Anaraxes; 02-03-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
…where do I look how much damage is necessary to it start the fire or blown up the car?
Basic Set, pp. 136-137.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
mr beer

Page 433 covers Making Things Burn.

Realistically I think an engine is Resistant, in which case you're looking at prolonged contact to ignite it. So for every 10 seconds of contact you roll 3d6 and it catches on 6 or less (at 1 point damage per second) or 16 or less (at 3 points damage per second).

If you want Rule Of Cool, make it Flammable, in which case 3 points sees it go up.

I don't know how long it takes to set fire to a car engine but 1d6 burn is slightly more than a fire of normal intensity (1d6-1) so 10 seconds doesn't sound crazily unrealistic.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Page 433 covers Making Things Burn.

Realistically I think an engine is Resistant, in which case you're looking at prolonged contact to ignite it. So for every 10 seconds of contact you roll 3d6 and it catches on 6 or less (at 1 point damage per second) or 16 or less (at 3 points damage per second).

If you want Rule Of Cool, make it Flammable, in which case 3 points sees it go up.
By RAW, cars are flammable. (B464)
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
By RAW, cars are flammable. (B464)
Oh good!

Well there you go OP, 3 points of damage in one second and it starts burning.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burn, innate attack, vehicle