Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: LT Armor: Questions about costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Aren't all of those (except half of Russia) in Asia?
Certainly on the continent - India is a sub-continent but unless you're getting into sub continents it's counted as part of the Asian continent.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
DanHoward

Turkery and Persia are considered part of Asia? I've always considered Asia and the Middle East separate regions.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Turkery and Persia are considered part of Asia? I've always considered Asia and the Middle East separate regions.
Turkey and the Middle East (including most of the full extent of medieval Persia) are both on the Asian Continent (which is what I meant in this case by "Asia"). Honestly I can't think of anywhere that at least wasn't partially in Asia that used plated mail. I suppose I'm about to discover I'm completely wrong.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

I get a cost of $150 for a Light Breastplate, munitions grade, $375 for a Medium breastplate, munitions grade. A man who has a comfortable level of starting wealth(a typical man suitable for military duty), has $4000 in assets if he's not landed, or $2000 if he's only of "average" starting wealth at TL4. That seems to be sufficient to allow him a decent suit of armor(probably a breastplate, mail coat, espaulders, vambraces, tassets, bascinet and maybe greaves).

Remember that the lower classes didn't really go to war that often: they had to farm, and couldn't afford it. A lord rarely provides gear to these men, so they have to bring their own, and showing up in a decent harness is a good way to demand a higher wage, or atleast get the job.

There are cheaper options, i suppose, but Mail with breastplate and some limb plates is going to keep you alive far more often against the heavier weaponry typically seen at TL4(warhammers, maces, picks, polearms, heavy crossbows...).
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Turkey and the Middle East (including most of the full extent of medieval Persia) are both on the Asian Continent (which is what I meant in this case by "Asia"). Honestly I can't think of anywhere that at least wasn't partially in Asia that used plated mail. I suppose I'm about to discover I'm completely wrong.
Philippines? There are surviving examples of Moro plated mail made of brass
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Philippines?
Normally considered part of Southeast Asia, though it's not on the continent. Turkey is part of the traditional definition of Asia, though that definition doesn't have much in the way of geographical logic.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, low-tech