Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
GURPSFredo

Default Fast-Draw (Buckler)

Would a Fast-Draw (Buckler) be a realistic skill or not?
GURPSFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Fast-Draw (Buckler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPSFredo View Post
Would a Fast-Draw (Buckler) be a realistic skill or not?
I'm pretty sure that I've seen bucklers worn on belts in period art (though I'm blanking on specific examples), so I'd say that it plausibly is.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Gnomasz

I have no real expertise, but it feels really cinematic to me. It would mean you can draw the buckler and shield bash with it with your opponents not getting a chance to attack or disengage you while you draw it. I can't imagine a holster and grip that would really make it that fast.
Also of note is the fact that such an option isn't discussed in Basic nor in Martial Arts, so the authors probably didn't consider it realistic, either.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I have no real expertise, but it feels really cinematic to me. It would mean you can draw the buckler and shield bash with it with your opponents not getting a chance to attack or disengage you while you draw it. I can't imagine a holster and grip that would really make it that fast.
Also of note is the fact that such an option isn't discussed in Basic nor in Martial Arts, so the authors probably didn't consider it realistic, either.
Alternatively, it just hadn't occurred to them. One way to do it would be to have a buckler made with a gamma or 'L' shaped handle, where you hold the long side and the end of the short side is attached to the buckler. This does lead to a single point of failure, but it allows the buckler to be hooked onto the belt, and then drawn and ready in a hurry if needed. Another way to to have a hook on your belt, and use a normal buckler. Either way, Fast Draw would be plausible.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
GURPSFredo

This is from the book 'Daily Life in Chaucer's England'

'Small round shields called bucklers had a single handle in the center behind a protruding iron boss or spike. One surviving example has a hook in front allowing it to be hung from a belt with the grip outwards, ready for a 'quick-draw'.

Now, I'm not sure if the 'quick-draw' is one ready maneuver or a GURPS Fast-Draw skill.
GURPSFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:06 AM   #6
Tomsdad

Given some bucklers were largely civilian kit designed to be carried along some kind of blade when you are out and about in case of trouble (or to start trouble). Yeah I think quick draw is fine. Especially is you going ti allow quick draw for the sword it accompanies.

It going to come down to how it's carried, but since hooked on a belt was a thing then yep definitely
Old 01-23-2020, 03:47 AM   #7
Taneli

As a GM, my answer for new fast draw specialty is always "it depends." If the player can demonstrate someone with training & special equipment being able to quickly prepare the said item, I'm more inclined allow a specialty for that, under similar circumstances.

I can definitely see being able to fast draw a buckler from a hook on a belt, so yeah. When on the hook, it's likely to be noisy, though.

"your buckler is banging against your leg armor, take -2 to your stealth" ;)
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
Sir Tifyable

...And thus we have the term Swashbuckler.

The original swashbucklers were followers of George Silver, and wore their swords and bucklers at their belts when going about town. Their rivals labelled them swashbucklers from the noise their bucklers made swinging against their sword-hilts, like pebbles swashing around in the waves on a beach.
Sir Tifyable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
Plane

Even if you can fast-draw a weapon as free action w/o ready wouldn't you still need to spend a ready to ready the weapon? Or am I forgetting a quick-ready skill somewhere?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Even if you can fast-draw a weapon as free action w/o ready wouldn't you still need to spend a ready to ready the weapon? Or am I forgetting a quick-ready skill somewhere?
The write-up for Fast-Draw (Basic Set p194) says 'A successful roll means you ready the weapon instantly. This does not count as a combat maneuver; you can use the weapon to attack on the same turn.'

Presumably, this means that a Fast-Drawn buckler can be used to defend on the same turn.

-- Tacitus

Tags
buckler, fast-draw