Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
jamesfoxbr

Default Reflect Abilities

I need help..
How build a abilities to neutralize another abilities and if the effect is neutralized returns to owner?
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Reflect Abilities

Quote:
neutralize another abilities
This is simple: Neutralize (Powers, p.97) with Interruption (Psionic Powers, p.16).
Quote:
if the effect is neutralized returns to owner?
This is trickier, but I'd start with adding Power Theft to Neutralize and some Accessibility: just to reflect that Power to the owner.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
jamesfoxbr

and how I can transform on a cone? I'm making a Beholderkin with abilities to reflect magic and magical abilities back with his central eye (cone in front of beholderkin).
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
starslayer

I think now your looking at a modular ability- either enough cosmic modular ability (with accessibility: only to add cone to stolen powers) to cover the cost of adding cone to a given attack. Or getting enough modular ability to outright build an attack (with accessibility, limited ammo: special reload, etc).

If you go with the first option then the creature could steal an attack that it now cannot use because it does not have enough cosmic modular ability to add cone to it. The second option will be more expensive, but it can then whip up a weaker version of a given attack in the event that it can't do full power.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Walrus

Quote:
and how I can transform on a cone
Then go with +300% version of Power Theft and Multiplicative Modifiers. And now I think that with Interruption Power Theft just give you that one "instance" of attack, not the whole ability.
And BTW, is this intended to be PC, Ally or Enemy? If not, then just don't give it point cost.
Other way maybe DR (Magic, Absorptive) though it's costly as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
jamesfoxbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
And BTW, is this intended to be PC, Ally or Enemy? If not, then just don't give it point cost.
Other way maybe DR (Magic, Absorptive) though it's costly as well.
It will be an enemy, but I like to know how the game system works to train for future campaigns with supers characters. I will not give points, but I want know how make the abilitie.

The problem with DR is just for damage abilities, I want reflect for all magic abilities.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
munin

GURPS Psionic Powers adapts the Reflection enhancement from DR to Mind Shield (p. 15). You could do something similar with something that provides a bonus to resist against all abilities of a particular source by putting Reflection on Resistance.

For example, Resistance +3 (Magic; Reflection, +100%) [20] would reflect any magical ability you successfully resist if the attacker's margin of success was 2 or less.

If it only works on attackers from a certain direction, I'd use the Directional limitation from DR (p. B47) -- e.g., Directional, Front, -20%. I'd usually use Vision-Based, Reversed, -20%, but that might get weird for a being with multiple eyes.

So, this might be Immunity (Magic; Directional, Front, -20%; Reflection, +100%) [54]. They are immune to magical attacks from the front that allow a resistance roll, but they can choose to make the roll anyway in which case success or victory reflects the attack.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
GURPS Psionic Powers adapts the Reflection enhancement from DR to Mind Shield (p. 15). You could do something similar with something that provides a bonus to resist against all abilities of a particular source by putting Reflection on Resistance.

For example, Resistance +3 (Magic; Reflection, +100%) [20] would reflect any magical ability you successfully resist if the attacker's margin of success was 2 or less.
This type of reflection seems to be under priced for general use. In contrast to DR which bounces damage blocked by DR and only from a direct hit at +100% (5 points/lvl), this gives you a chance to bounce any strength affliction or spell back. Ruled as a common resistance bouncing it back if they succeed by 2 or less (1/3 base doubled for +100% Reflection) at 20 points, by 7 or less (2/3 base doubled for +200% Reflection) for 40 points, or basically automatically at the Immune level (since it's based on what your opponent succeeds by, not how much you beat him) for 60 points seems awfully potent.

Mind Shield has a higher base cost even if you factor in it being switchable and off when you're asleep (3 levels costs 12 points base, 8 costs 32 points base, then you add +100% for Reflection, and immunity isn't available) and is more restricted since it only works against mental psi contact/attacks. All magic spells seems like a category more like the size of all psi which greatly exceeds Mind Shield's scope.

If you're going to apply Reflection to Resistant, you'll either need a new enhancement value or slightly different rules.

Quote:
So, this might be Immunity (Magic; Directional, Front, -20%; Reflection, +100%) [54]. They are immune to magical attacks from the front that allow a resistance roll, but they can choose to make the roll anyway in which case success or victory reflects the attack.
As written, your resistance roll doesn't matter at all for Reflection. It's based on the attacker's margin of success. If they succeed by more than your Mind Shield level reflection fails regardless of whether you resist or not. Another feature of Reflection is that since you're bouncing the ability when the attacker's MOS isn't high enough to exceed your Mind Shield you don't need to resist at all (it's reflected).

Anyway, that's a slight digression. Extrapolating how Mind Shield Reflection works into using your resistance roll to reflect the attack back is certainly a house rule. IMO, it's not a good way to account for it because your natural resistance (Will, HT, whatever) could be arbitrarily high and you're not paying for Reflection on those traits even though you'll be using them to determine how good you are at reflecting attacks.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
jamesfoxbr

How much could cost the Reflection from Psionic Power if used that way? +300 As cosmic?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
...As written, your resistance roll doesn't matter at all for Reflection. It's based on the attacker's margin of success. ...
But only if "... you successfully resist an attack ...". I'm trying to be conservative by saying you still have to roll to reflect even if you have Immunity. I could see it being automatic too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
... it's not a good way to account for it because your natural resistance (Will, HT, whatever) could be arbitrarily high and you're not paying for Reflection on those traits even though you'll be using them to determine how good you are at reflecting attacks.
Which is why Reflection also compares your bonus to the attacker's margin of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfoxbr View Post
How much could cost the Reflection from Psionic Power if used that way? +300 As cosmic?
I think you just use it at +100%. That's the standard value used for both DR and Mind Shield. I think naloth disagrees.

Comparing Mind Shield (and Magic Resistance) to Resistance/Immunity can be contentious (especially at the +8 level of Resistance, which is a really good deal). Immunity to a single power is worth [30] -- either with Static or Immunity (Power Source), but Immunity to Mind Control is also worth [30]. Mind Shield aids resistance against a narrow category of abilities (mental influence) but across all power sources, which Resistance (Power Source) aids resistance against all abilities but only of a single power source (e.g., magic). I think they're about equal, so I'd just go with +100%.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abilities, neutralize, reflect