Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #21
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Area Attacks--Am I Missing Something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
"Save for Half Damage" is typically a feature of the spell/ability rather than the character in That Other Game, so might as well make it the same here - apply "Resistible (Dodge)" to half the damage, and you're good. There's an exception that certain classes do get an ability that lets them change that to "Save Negates," and I think there's an upgrade to it that makes it so a failed save still results in half damage. That last one is fairly easy, actually - IT:DR (Area Effects with "Reflex Saves"), but the "Save Negates" bit is more problematic, given it brushes against GURPS' "No Such Thing as an Absolute" policy. Maybe something like a modified Insubstantiality (with Limitations including "Only against area effects with "reflex saves" and "Requires successful Dodge roll").
Considering that half the attack can be resisted, you can either add further that it entirely doesn't hit someone with that IT:DR or you can have a special Resistant that combines with the IT:DR to cover it well enough.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area effect, gurps