Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-31-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
Racer

Default Missing an VG1 Cycle Design

My copy of AADA Vehicle Guild 1 is extremely battered . Can't locate page 4 which was loose . It's in Motorcycle Section & I recall one of two designs on there is the Popper , but can't remember the other one .

Can some one name it & give me an outline of it's stats please ? Thanks .
Old 08-31-2021, 09:41 PM   #2
svawter

Default Re: Missing an VG1 Cycle Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
My copy of AADA Vehicle Guild 1 is extremely battered . Can't locate page 4 which was loose . It's in Motorcycle Section & I recall one of two designs on there is the Popper , but can't remember the other one .

Can some one name it & give me an outline of it's stats please ? Thanks .
There are 2 others:
Santa Cruz: hvy cycle with front MG & rear MD, PR tires, $5948
options: lose some armor for radial PR tires, $6524

Spider: Hvy cycle with front RR & extra mag, HD tires, $5486
options: replace extra mag with rear SS, $5412
svawter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
Racer

Thank You svawter ! Greatly appreciated & found versions for both when searching Combat Garage - amazing results !

I don't suppose you or anyone else can give me name & rundown of first Trike on page 6 of VG2 as well ? ;-)

Think it is a Reverse Medium or Hvy Trike - possibly with a Ramplate ?

I can recall the Flaming Arrow/Blazing Arrow/Blazing Bolt X-Hvy Incendiary Trike from that page (always exploding!) but can't recall the other one .
If I had an up to date email address , I'd ask guy who I think is designer - fellow Brit Phil Radley . Last email I got was Christmas greeting from now defunct Hotmail account ... :-I
Old 09-04-2021, 01:54 AM   #4
swordtart

The first trike is the Maximiliian.

Credited as a British import :).
It was a reverse but it was light and it had no ramplate.

It was fitted with a Thunderkit (and thus now illegal and it was built before chassis mods for trikes were allowed so you would need to mod it anyway).

Below is my rehash of it making it legal, the only difference is the lack of Thunderkit. Sadly adding and ISC as equivalent takes it over it's space and weight limit. You could add SC and PC just to get the top speed boost. That gives you 132.5/152.5 which is only 17.5 below the original specs. It is a pricey upgrade, but you are still $450 cheaper than the original :)

"Maximinimum by Swordtart: Rev. Light Trike; Standard chassis; Heavy suspension; Large Cycle PP w/Overdrive; 3 PR tires. Driver. Rocket Launcher w/10xStandard; Spike Dropper w/10xExplosive Spikes. Single-Weapon Computer; HD Brakes, ABS. 110 pts. Plastic (F: 25 R: 20 L: 20 B: 20 T: 15 U: 10). Cost: $8,485, Wgt: 1,575, HC: 3, Top Speed: 120 (140), Accel: 10 (5).

Last edited by swordtart; 09-04-2021 at 02:08 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
43Supporter

An alternate _Maximilian_, "keeping it period" (_VG2_ and earlier tech):

Reversed Light Trike, Standard chassis, Heavy suspension, Super Cycle power plant, 3 Motorcycle Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/SWC, Rocket Launcher Front, Spikedropper Back w/10 Explosive Spikes, Heavy-Duty Brakes, Antilock Brakes, Overdrive, Plastic Armor: F25, L20, R20, B20, T15, U10, Acceleration 10, Top Speed 137.5 +20 w/Overdrive, HC 3, 1600 lbs., $8985

Not as fast; not as expensive. :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
An alternate _Maximilian_, "keeping it period" (_VG2_ and earlier tech):

Reversed Light Trike, Standard chassis, Heavy suspension, Super Cycle power plant, 3 Motorcycle Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/SWC, Rocket Launcher Front, Spikedropper Back w/10 Explosive Spikes, Heavy-Duty Brakes, Antilock Brakes, Overdrive, Plastic Armor: F25, L20, R20, B20, T15, U10, Acceleration 10, Top Speed 137.5 +20 w/Overdrive, HC 3, 1600 lbs., $8985

Not as fast; not as expensive. :)
Yes, I should have thought of just upgrading the plant (forgot that bike plants often only increase in weight and cost not space).

Add Superconductors to the above and you get something identical to the original other than it is 5mph slower. If you want the full 150/170 you need to spring for Platinum Catalysts as well and that costs an extra $400.

Even with HC 3 at 170 you only need a couple of D1s a turn before you are in trouble. 17" is a long way to drive with no manoeuvres or hazard to avoid. Even a minor fishtail will likely end up in a tank-slapper that ends badly. You might be better off saving that money for plant upgrades and spending it on safety equipment instead :)

Last edited by swordtart; 09-05-2021 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Consequences
Old 09-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
43Supporter

One notes: _Maximilian_ has HD/ABS, almost in anticipation of the intersection of "150+ MPH" and "HC: 3". I'd have to look up when HD Shocks were introduced; those, plus a Spoiler and Airdam (esp. after the S/A Reboot) would not be out-of-line.

79er

Old 09-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #8
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
One notes: _Maximilian_ has HD/ABS, almost in anticipation of the intersection of "150+ MPH" and "HC: 3". I'd have to look up when HD Shocks were introduced; those, plus a Spoiler and Airdam (esp. after the S/A Reboot) would not be out-of-line.
Of course then it isn't a Maximillian any more :) I am not sure of it's anticipated ecological niche. Not enough HC at that speed for the ratty roads of 2030's (you need to chose your line carefully on a typical debris strewn road sheet and that usually takes a couple of drifts every 11"). Weapons badly placed for the normal clean racetracks and then you'd be using slicks. Far too fast and with not enough acceleration to get there for an arena.

For that top speed I'd be expecting ACC 15 minimum (which in conjunction with the brake mods would allow you to use the on/off acceleration/deceleration of the typical street racer).

The 2040'd redux would have anti-shocks and radials and HDHTMs. That would enable it to dodge a bit more and also select up or down 20 mph every turn. It's already expensive, so a another thousand or so isn't excessive.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Of course then it isn't a Maximillian any more :) I am not sure of it's anticipated ecological niche.
Well, going by the _VG2_ blurb: It's an (relatively) inexpensive high-performance road-going cruiser. My interpretation of that is "highway usage", not off-road or back-streets -- so a spoiler/airdam combo wouldn't be out of line. For other examples of this from _VG2_: _Road Warhawk_; _Peacemaker_; _'37 Moose_.

For boonie-bashing, one looks to a _Vulcan_, or _Red Storm_

79er

Old 09-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
Racer

HD Shocks we're introduced in Combat Showcase , so (Summer ?) 1987 .

Quite a few designs in VG2 haveHeavy Duty Shocks .
I got my VG2 at the end of 1988 . Didn't know what a lot of the equipment was - HD Shocks , VFRPs , Laser Reactive Webs , etc - until I got Compendium First Edition in 1989 . That was shortly before I found a copy of Combat Showcase . Was extremely pleased as a rarity in UK - I'd seen CSC Errata in ADQ 7/1 & used various moded designs in our games .

I went down the Super PP route for my version of Maximilian too . Swapped the RL ( too inaccurate - especially vs small targets - and causes players to panic when vehicle is on fire ) for RR with option for SWC . Hvy Chassis , Spoiler , more Armour & a few Std Spikes mixed in with Explosive ones kept in under $10K . Not as fast but unless your pulling 'one volley hit-&-run' , the you don't see more than 120-140mph on the Road that often . After seeing multiple costly HC 3 Cars fail control rolls & crash in a scenario that had them start at 60mph on outskirts of a town , we've all been extremely wary of high speed disasters looming .
Okay that was way back when using DCWs rules , maneuvering & crash tables , but losing half your vehicles to blown control rolls BEFORE any enemies enter the board bites big time .
High Acceleration is lovely for getting out of nasty situations , but high speed kills your rides quicker than weapons will a majority of time . A happy medium between 'too slow' & 'too fast' is a real skill in this game - depends on your designs , character skills & type of games you play most often . Some players have ridiculous luck with Crash Tables etc , so that can be even more irritating than those who always seem to roll high 'to hit' your hard to hit targets ...

Tags
design info