Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
naloth

Default Re: Reflect Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Which is why Reflection also compares your bonus to the attacker's margin of success.
The point being that your ability to Reflect is mostly determined by the number of levels of the ability that you buy Reflection on not how well you roll to resist.

Quote:
I think you just use it at +100%. That's the standard value used for both DR and Mind Shield. I think naloth disagrees.
Resistance is set up to be a +3/+8/Immune instead of a leveled ability and it's a much better deal than either ability for what it does. It's pretty clear from the description under both DR and Mind Shield that the Reflection enhancement was designed to work with leveled advantages unlike flat bonuses or Immunity like Resistance has. Reflection would be a better deal at the +3 and +8 bonus and as written it doesn't make sense for the Immunity level.

Quote:
Immunity to a single power is worth [30] -- either with Static or Immunity (Power Source), but Immunity to Mind Control is also worth [30].
Immunity to one entire source (not a single power) which can be as broad as all Magic or all Psi is worth 30 points. Immunity to all Mind Control (regardless of the source) has also been priced as 30 points but that works regardless of power modifier, a Bardic control skill, or a spell. Since the first works against only one source while the second works against all sources but only against one attack form, they aren't that badly balanced. I haven't found Mind Control as common as entire power sources but it's a nasty ability to have used on you so it's probably worth the "common" immunity value.

Quote:
Mind Shield aids resistance against a narrow category of abilities (mental influence) but across all power sources, which Resistance (Power Source) aids resistance against all abilities but only of a single power source (e.g., magic). I think they're about equal, so I'd just go with +100%.
I don't know why you're referencing "power source" here since Resistance isn't limited to one source (i.e. Resistance to Metabolic Hazards works against Afflictions with different sources, natural poisons, and even applicable spells) any more than Mind Control is unless you slap on a limitation to that effect. A Resistance can still cover a lot more ground as "All Metabolic Hazards" should be a lot more common than "Mental Influences". If you're implying that Resistance only works against a single power source by default and that somehow makes it similar in scope to Mind Control, we should go back to the text and re-look at Resistance since I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

From a pricing perspective DR is 5/lvl per die of reflection and Mind Shield is 4/lvl (and you discount the first for the purpose of Reflection) while Resistance +3 is 10 points, +8 is 20 points, and full immunity is 30 points (if assigned the largest category, otherwise it's even cheaper). Resistance easily offers more of a bonus for the cost than either DR or Mind Shield and Immunity at full effect.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abilities, neutralize, reflect