Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #181
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
I just finished redoing three builds that I wasn't satisfied with before. Instead of updating the original posts, I'm going to repost the entire entries. Here's the first:

Human Torch
It doen't look so greatly different from your original write-up, the biggest changes being (AFAICT) in the Innate Attacks. What made you rethink it?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #182
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
On the Invisibility Affliction, what's the Cosmic:Irresistible Attack portion for? Malediction already bypasses DR and there is no modifier to eliminate the quick contest for a Malediction. Maybe drop the Cosmic portion and up the level a bit?
What I was looking for with the Cosmic is modeling the idea that when she turns people invisible, no one to my knowledge has actually resisted it and remained visible without invisibility powers of their own counteracting it. The "Cosmic: Irresistable Attack" modifier seemed closest.

To be honest, that facet of that ability is one of the biggest problems I had when statting her out. Sue is able to turn anything or anyone invisible, it's a purely mental ability on her part with physical effects, and no one's ever, to my knowledge, managed to avoid it.

(I'm also not sure of the skill or talent necessary to pull off one stunt I remember her doing, making successive layers of a person invisible - first the skin, then the muscles, then the inner organs, then the skeleton. She did this one time while simultaneously surrounding herself and her teammates in a forcefield protecting them from a disintegrator. But that's an RP issue for creative use of existing powers, not really a new power in and of itself.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
For the DR, I'm assuming this is for projecting forcefields or protecting other people. If you want it to affect others, the enhancement of the same name is needed. If you want it to just be a bubble that works on an area, you might try Force Field, Affects Others, and Area of Affect. If I remember correctly, that will form a bubble o' DR for you. Also, when you have requires concentration, you don't need to also add switchable. By default, an ability becomes switchable if you tack on a transient quality for it. So, once you have costs fatigue, requires concentrate, etc, it's assumed to be switchable as well.
Ah. Currently, the way it's written is a personal protective field; I hadn't considered extending it to others, although I see how it could be extended to do so. IDHMBWM ATM, so I'll toy with replacing Switchable with Selectivity and adding in Affects Others and Area Effect and see what effect that has on her.

One issue I'm not fully sold on is the Modular Abilities, essentially replacing a slew of advantages - including Create, Control, and Flight, among others -from the original writeup. Did I allow for enough points? Am I using the proper variant of ModAb? I'll be honest and say that I don't grok the modular abilities rules fully, despite how many times I've explained them to someone in the IRC channels I hang out in; I usually end up explaining the Super-Memorization (Spells) variant.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #183
Phantasm

re:Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
It doen't look so greatly different from your original write-up, the biggest changes being (AFAICT) in the Innate Attacks. What made you rethink it?
Well, I've been going through and revising a lot of the characters anyways. Torch was just the next on the list, and one of the four that I had the hardest time with originally.

For Torch, I added a number of things from Supers, primarily Perks. As you said, I altered the Innate Attacks; they're a big part of the character as it is, and take up the most space on the sheet. I also lowered the level of Control Fire.

I think what gave me such a hard time with Johnny, Bobby, Sue, and Jean (Marvel Girl, who is on my overhaul list) was that their powers are quite varied in utility.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #184
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Iceman

Advantages: Control Ice/Snow 5 ; Create Ice/Snow 5 (Link (with Control Ice/Snow), Can Be Used Separately, +20%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [25]; Crushing Attack (Snowball Barrage) 1d-1 ; Damage Resistance (Ice Sheath) 4 ; Fatigue Attack (Frost Beam) 3d ; Impaling Attack (Ice Dagger) 2d ; Nictitating Membrane 4 (Link (with Damage Resistance), +10%; Switchable, +10%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [4]; Slippery 4 ;Temperature Tolerance 15 (down to -145F) (Mutant, -10%) [14].
You've really tightened it up! I see that you downgraded him quite a bit (even though his point total actually increased a little); notably in the levels of Control/Create, and the attacks and defenses. Were you concerned you had overpowered him before? The Create seems like you've priced it as a Specific Item. I think it might be a Small Category set. Unless you really want the HT bonus from Nictating Membrane, you could just buy an enhancement for the DR to protect his eyes. The TempTol... huh... I overlooked that, too :/ Good catch!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #185
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
You've really tightened it up! I see that you downgraded him quite a bit (even though his point total actually increased a little); notably in the levels of Control/Create, and the attacks and defenses. Were you concerned you had overpowered him before? The Create seems like you've priced it as a Specific Item. I think it might be a Small Category set. Unless you really want the HT bonus from Nictating Membrane, you could just buy an enhancement for the DR to protect his eyes. The TempTol... huh... I overlooked that, too :/ Good catch!
Concerned about overpowered? Not as such. What I did do is run the figures on how much he could create and shape at once, and at what distance, and then recalculated the Create and Control levels based on that.

Yeah, I priced his Create as a Specific rather than Small Category. I don't really count "snow" and "ice" as two different items anyways, as both are simply frozen water. ;) Anyways, I believe it's only another 25 points in difference between Specific Item and Small Category at that level with those mods.

As for his attacks, I wasn't fully comfortable with the way they'd been done before, so I went ahead and thought of how they'd come into play as I was redoing them. (I think I might have made the Binding a little weak.)

Old 03-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #186
Fnordianslip

Quote:
What I was looking for with the Cosmic is modeling the idea that when she turns people invisible, no one to my knowledge has actually resisted it and remained visible without invisibility powers of their own counteracting it. The "Cosmic: Irresistable Attack" modifier seemed closest.

(I'm also not sure of the skill or talent necessary to pull off one stunt I remember her doing, making successive layers of a person invisible - first the skin, then the muscles, then the inner organs, then the skeleton.

One issue I'm not fully sold on is the Modular Abilities, essentially replacing a slew of advantages - including Create, Control, and Flight, among others -from the original writeup. Did I allow for enough points? Am I using the proper variant of ModAb?
That's one of the problems with comic book translations. In the comics, it's OK to have unresistable powers. In GURPS, it isn't. The best way to model an unresistable affliction is to buy lots of levels for it. Say you've got your Invisibility Affliction at level 11. At that point, you roll your Will, they roll theirs at a -10. Most of the time, they have zero chance of success. So, to model afflictions that always work, just take high levels.

That specific stunt is probably something I would just have the PC roll IQ + Talent - Modifiers for. So, for her, she'd have a base 15 on that roll. Even at a horrific -5 for trying something truly outrageous, she'd still have a 50/50 shot. So her talent level is probably OK.

The modular ability thing looks pretty good. The only thing I might change would be to add some reduced time onto it. As it stands, she takes a full second per point to reallocate her abilities. It seems more comic booky to lower that to no time for reallocation. Then she can do a variety of things on the fly.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #187
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Well, I've been going through and revising a lot of the characters anyways. Torch was just the next on the list, and one of the four that I had the hardest time with originally.
What made you decide to re-write them, as opposed to just editing the earlier posts? Was it easier for you this way?
Quote:
Yeah, I priced his Create as a Specific rather than Small Category. I don't really count "snow" and "ice" as two different items anyways, as both are simply frozen water. ;) Anyways, I believe it's only another 25 points in difference between Specific Item and Small Category at that level with those mods.
Fair enough. It probably doesn't rise to the level of Small Category after all, though it might be worth a small premium over the Specific Item cost.
Quote:
(I think I might have made the Binding a little weak.)
How do you mean? It's still the same level as the original version.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #188
vitruvian

Quote:
The modular ability thing looks pretty good. The only thing I might change would be to add some reduced time onto it. As it stands, she takes a full second per point to reallocate her abilities. It seems more comic booky to lower that to no time for reallocation. Then she can do a variety of things on the fly.

I'll have to check my books when I get home, but I don't believe the time to switch things is per point for *Cosmic* MA, as opposed to SuperMem or Computer Mind, etc.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #189
Fnordianslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
I'll have to check my books when I get home, but I don't believe the time to switch things is per point for *Cosmic* MA, as opposed to SuperMem or Computer Mind, etc.
Oooh! Right you are. It's per ability. I'd never noticed that before, but I like how it works!
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #190
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Invisible Woman

1,120 points

Advantages: Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power: Force Constructs)
You've got the Modular Ability working OT ;) It really improved the readability of the cs. I kinda thought you would keep or even expand on the Alternative Abilities theme from the first version, but it looks like you kept the concept limited to the stuff that the ModAb covers.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men