Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #31
Trachmyr

Default Re: What else can we define as a 'style'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Just a note: Farming always defaults to Gardening-3. So this perk doesn't really do anything. Maybe let Farming default to Gardening at no penalty for the one crop?
Farming skill is not normally allowed in the game, as in not available due to the TL of agriculture. This allows Gardening to be used for Large Scale projects, and yes you can buy off the default cheaper since it's each perk is restricted to a single crop.

Sorry, some of the perks are campaign specific.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #32
SolemnGolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Thanks I'm gonna use that for my GURPS Sex supplement.
Black belt in Kama Sutra?
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #33
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Black belt in Kama Sutra?
Actually no, I've included the styles shown here as well as Art of the Female Dragon (another dominatrix art) and Le Petite Mort (a style based on secretly attacking your opponent during the act of sex... sexual assassination if you will...) that and boatloads of perks.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #34
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
that and boatloads of perks.
Style Perks is where non-combat styles really pay off in my opinion.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #35
Figleaf23
Banned

Hockey Player Style {3}

Core Skills: Sport (Hockey), Skating

Highly recommended skill: Brawling
Optional skill: Tactics (Hockey)

Techniques: Skating Backwards, Bodychecking, Stickchecking, Wrist Shot, Slap Shot, Snap Shot, Targetted Attack (Goal Corners).

Perks: Teamwork, Dirty Fighting, Shoves and Tackles, Sure-Footed (Ice).
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #36
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Hockey Player Style {3}
You mean this?

Parkour 5
Skills: Acrobatics, Climbing, Jumping, Running.
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand, Balancing, Dive n Roll, Evade (Acrobatics), Scaling, Skidding, Sliding, Spinning, Tic-Tac.
Cinematic Skills: Flying Leap, Lizard Climb.
Perks: Sure-Footed (Slippery), Sure-Footed (Uneven), Technique Mastery (Balancing, Scaling, or Tic-Tac).

Optional Traits
Secondary Characteristics: Increased Move.
Advantages: Catfall, Perfect Balance.

Don't know enough about the culture to suggest disadvantages or optional skills.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #37
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
You mean this?
Well hey, look at that!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #38
Figleaf23
Banned

Mountebank

Core Skills: Fast-talk, Acting, Public Speaking

Optional Skills: Merchant, Psychology

Techniques: Reactive Improvisation (Fast-talk), Prepared Patter (Public Speaking), Spot Marks (Psychology), Horrify (Public Speaking and/or somehow Psychology), ...?

Perks: Honest Face, Good With (Hypocondriacs), Penetrating Voice, Influence Schtick (various?), Dabbler (Pharmacy, Physician).

Last edited by Figleaf23; 06-16-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added more perks.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #39
Mgellis

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think we want to watch out for "style creep." Nothing has to be a style. A style should offer something above and beyond what the skills already offer.

Musical Instrument (Guitar) would let you play jazz guitar without any trouble. A Jazz Guitar technique or three would let you specialize above your base skill level. I'm not sure there are "secret techniques" for jazz guitar that would be impossible to learn if you were not "one of the initiated." So what does Style Familiarity (Jazz Guitar) give you?

Even if the only thing offered by the perk are social benefits--you know a few people, the fact that you know people can open other doors for you at times, etc.--that's reasonable, but there should be a reason why someone needs a style instead of simply needing a skill.

Having said that, almost any skill or activity might be connected with a style. This would certainly be true of guilds or special schools, where there might well be secret techniques of some kind. The social benefits would be worth something, although the perk might be called something else if the social benefits are the only benefits ("Clique"--you know several people, not as well as a perk-based Friend, but well enough to get some benefit from knowing them--maybe?). I'm sure you could build styles for Piloting, Surgery, Writing, anything you wanted, really.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #40
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post

Even if the only thing offered by the perk are social benefits--you know a few people, the fact that you know people can open other doors for you at times, etc.--that's reasonable, but there should be a reason why someone needs a style instead of simply needing a skill.
This social angle is the real-world focus of what GURPS calls "styles." A "style" represents the minimum training expected and often tested for by some group that's in a position to make sure you don't get work, or at least very good work, unless you do things their way. Most such "styles" could swap the Style Familiarity perk for a Courtesy Title, License, Office, or Permit perk. In essence, the right skills – and possibly certain techniques and perks – would become prerequisites to earning the qualification. Upon attaining the qualification, doors would open socially, and in many cases you would be cleared to receive "advanced training" that teaches other techniques and perks that are nominal secrets: stage-magic tricks, commercial trade secrets, military tactics, crypto schemes, etc.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
styles