Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
sikker

Default MA-style: Dwarven Shield Fighter

EDIT: Because of posts further down, I have decided to rename it to Axe and Shield Fighter.

OK, inspired by B9Anders' thread on the BasAssKicker-style I will post this fictional MA style in the hopes of getting some constructive criticism and ideas for improvements.

The idea/philosophy behind this style is that it is a style used by elite Dwarven infantry/shock troopers. The style would be used where Dwarves normally fight: in mountainous terrain and underground. One should imagine 50-200 very well trained Dwarfs standing side by side, shields raised and staring gloomily at the enemy. In this world Dwarfs are a very conservative and stubborn race, and would not be prone to going berserk and other rash behavior. One should however consider them extremely determined and unyielding.

Below I have lined up the style as it is now, and with some considerations on the various picks. It is a style made with my GM ... and I can't remember why all choices were made ... so please critique them.

Dwarfen Shield Fighter (3 points - although Weapon Master is sort of required)
Skills: Axe/mace (all standard Dwarven weapons are included here); shield (large)
Techniques:
Close Combat (axe/mace) - Especially when fighting subterranean monsters, one can expect that some wont respect decent combat distance. It is prudent to be competent against giant spiders and such likes;
Counterattack (axe-mace) - No idea why we chose this;
Targeted Attack (axe: Neck) - These Dwarfs don't mess around. Going for the neck ends the combat faster. No need to be ineffective;
Targeted Attack (axe: Legs) - The idea behind this was, that Dwarfs weren't all that tall, and when fighting opponents 2 feet or more larger than yourself it would be advantageous going for the legs rather than the neck.

Cinematic Skills:
Blind Fighting - When the lights go out (as they sometimes do underground), and when fighting creatures with magical darkness effects, this is a must (although Dwarfs do have Night Vision);
Immovable Stance - Dwarfs are tied to the rock. And in this campaign even more so (they were created from the rock). Making them hard to knock back just seems appropriate for tough warriors;
Kiai - Dwarven warcry. Very effective as a sudden shock effect, when combined with the silent Fearsome Stare below. (Imagine charging a rank of disciplined Dwarfs, that are just silently staring you down, and right when you hit them, they make a fearsome war cry that stuns you ... that ought to be intimidating);
Mental Strength - Well. They are Dwarfs. And stubborn. This just fits;
Power Blow - If (for some reason) the tactic with the Warcry isn't used, then one might as well use the free time, while being charged, to prepare an especially powerful blow.

Cinematic Techniques:
Dual weapon Defense (shield) - well ... it is the only cinematic that fitted.

Perks:
Shield Wall Training - of course;
Sure footed (uneven ground) - most fights will be on uneven ground;
Teamwork - should be obvious;
Fearsome Stare - tactics mentioned above. The idea is to have shaken the enemy once they reach melee;
Shoves and Tackles - Shock-troopers can't receive all the charges. Once in a while they have to charge themselves. In GURPS slams are the best way to charge ... and when employing a shield this is an easy pick.
Focused Fury - Not sure the reasoning for including this. But I guess it is nice extra damage.

So please: Comment. In your opinion: What's good. What's bad. What's missing. What's too much.

Last edited by sikker; 05-31-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Changed the text for TA legs
sikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: MA-style: Dwarven Shield Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikker View Post
So please: Comment. In your opinion: What's good. What's bad. What's missing. What's too much.
Looks fine to me, but the name seems a bit misleading if the main focus is pounding on people with axes, maces, and picks from behind a shield wall. If you're going to call it "Shield Fighting," that implies that the shield is emphasized beyond the normal defensive role it occupies in most other styles that incorporate it without naming themselves for it, unless other Dwarves don't use shields at all in this setting. This could be as simple as a note saying that stylists spend vastly more time in shield training and use it for both offense (using Defensive Attacks or no maneuver with the weapon hand to retain its parry) and defense depending on line position and opportunity, but I'd personally add some Shield-specific techniques also, like Feint (Shield).
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Refplace

Not familiar with Fourth Edition MA yet but used to own 3rd.
I would also not consider Shield fighting a good name.
This seems to be a good and well rounded MA covering individual and troop combat.
Though add more shield skills or require points in shield and it might be, right now its not focused enough. But a version for shield fighters would be good too.
No reason Dwarves should only have one martial art.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Might I suggest Icelander's dwarven styles?

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Kazander

I currently have a Dwarf character very similar to this.

For a "Shield Fighter", you've missed something very important: Off-hand Weapon Training (Shield) [1]. Why? So you can do shield attacks without the off-hand weapon penalty.

Don't underestimate the effectiveness of a Large Spiked Shield as a weapon. Get a spiked boss (B273) for +1 thrust damage, and give it a sharpened edge (MA223) for sw-2 dmg. You have a 30 lb weapon that will automatically break most weapons that attempt to parry it.

For added effectiveness (for characters that can afford it), maked it Balanced, Dwarven quality, even Fine if you can afford it.

If you have a Hero type dwarf with enough points, don't forget to take Weapon Master with the Shield as well as his Axe/Mace/etc. +1 or +2/die on those attacks is very nice, and it also adds to Shield Rush damage, increasing the odds of an automatic knockdown.

Don't forget that you can hold a weapon in your Shield hand (as long as it isn't a Buckler-type, but I doubt that's your intent). Take the Quick-Swap (Axe/Mace) perk so that you can re-arm yourself as a free action for those occasions you drop your weapon or throw it. You can't Fast Draw an axe/mace weapon, so this can make quite a difference.

If possible, make sure all your Axe/Mace weapons are of Dwarven quality, so that you can parry with them as well. If you don't, that Sword/Shield fighter will have a significant advantage if he's good enough to be making Rapid Strikes, or other multiple attacks.

I personally like Combination Weapons (MA214), so that my Axe can double as a Hammer or a Pick, or even have a Hook on it. Crushing attacks, or a swing/impaling attack to the vitals have their places! And it feels very Dwarven to me... :-)

Also, as part of his Unarmed combat template, you probably want Power Grappling perk; Dwarves almost always are Stronger than they are Dextrous.

Consider this Custom Perk "Explosive Slam"; it didn't make it into PU2: Perks, but it was suggested by Sean Punch. See if your GM will allow it. Really helps with the Slam attacks.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

I'm fairly certain Shield doesn't take an offhand penalty. It's like Main-Gauche.

Semper Fi
Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Kazander

Possibly; but I'm pretty sure it doesn't state that anywhere. No penalty for defense, certainly. For shield bashes, and swings (edged shield). I'd assess the penalty.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander View Post
Possibly; but I'm pretty sure it doesn't state that anywhere. No penalty for defense, certainly. For shield bashes, and swings (edged shield). I'd assess the penalty.
Kromm has spoken.

Semper Fi
Old 05-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Kazander

Well, I'll be....thanks for the link. That'll save me a point (woopee).

Sorry for the misinformation, sikker, but my other suggestions stand (I think).
Old 05-31-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
sikker

Thanks for the suggestions.
I agree about name. The reason I chose "shield fighter" was that other Dwarfs were supposed to use hammers or picks if they preferred. But pick-users would not be going for the neck as much as the vitals or eyes ... so I guess I might as well rename it to Axe and Shield fighter.

About the perk. I actually prefer rushing only 1 hex (adjacent). I have so many bonuses to my shield rush, that I would be ahead in probabilities if I shield rushed a 100-HP giant. Me: 1d-3(base) + 2(WM shield) + 2(shoves&tackles) + 3(shield DB) = 1d+4. 100 HP-giant: 1d. - The formula is ((HP * velocity)/100) with a minimum of 1d-3.
If I were silly enough to attack same giant with speed 6, the giant would do 6d on me, and I would (with 15 HP) do 1d+6

About Icelanders styles: Thank you very much. Had I just seen this before I would not have had to post :o) (search function ftw)
sikker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, styles