Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Healing vs. Cure Disease

With Advantages there is no strict "down the path to learning XYZ" - but Alternate Abilities do mean your existing abilities make learning "More of the same" significantly cheaper, which works out basically the same (if not more so).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
With Advantages there is no strict "down the path to learning XYZ" - but Alternate Abilities do mean your existing abilities make learning "More of the same" significantly cheaper, which works out basically the same (if not more so).
Divine Favor is built on the premise of Alternative Abilities, and it shows that you can have advantage-based systems at reasonable costs. Hell, probably the cheapest way to have an all around capable guy that can resurrect people by himself uses Divine Favor!
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
Facial Tentacles

Quote:
Repairing lost body parts is doable simply by adding Cure Affliction (powers p51) (cost increase of 18 points), which benefits from all the investments he's already made in his Healing advantage. Note that curing anything from a missing finger through severed arms up to Blindness or quadrapalegia is only 2 FP and -1 to skill. Compare THAT to Instant Regneration.
That's cool if you play it like that in your games, but I wouldn't allow it. I way I read that special enhancement is that it's supposed to be a power equivalent of a Remove Curse or such. That why it only affects Afflictions, Symptoms, and Side Effects.
Facial Tentacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #14
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial Tentacles View Post
That's cool if you play it like that in your games, but I wouldn't allow it. I way I read that special enhancement is that it's supposed to be a power equivalent of a Remove Curse or such. That why it only affects Afflictions, Symptoms, and Side Effects.
I agree, that Healing enhancement isn't set up to permanently repair lost body parts, it only neutralizes ongoing afflictions.

To repair lost body parts you need to use Affliction (Regrowth) as an Alternative Ability to Healing, if you want it repaired fast you'll also need Affliction (Regeneration).
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial Tentacles
It seems very reasonable. If you have a side affect that is inflicted by a normal attack its explanation is probably some sort of physical explanation: it tears the muscles, damages the spinal cord, poisons the heart, cuts off the arm... any number of things that inflict an actual physical problem. It would be extremely weird and meta-gamey if you could fix a severed arm or a damaged heart if it was inflicted by a claw built a side affect enhancement, but not a claw that just did it normally.

Regardless "affliction: regrowth + regeneration" as an alternative ability. It costs 12 points. (Then have them heal to full HP with healing.) Another method is you open Psionic Powers look at the different techniques and see the one for healing severed limbs is a minus ten. For one point in the skill cure and and 7 in the technique we can restore removed limbs just as easily as normally crippled ones. This bumps the total cost of the healer up 12 or 8 points. The mage needs another 30 energy, another level of magery, and needs instant regeneration at 14. Assuming max limited ER that is a cost increase of I think 32. Moving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
(NB: At this point, he's probably better served for not buying more ER, and instead taking some Reduced FP cost on his Healing advantage - 5 reduced fatigue cost costs 30 points (compared to 10 unlimited ER), but you NEVER have to worry about recharge times - so you can heal everyone in a 5 man party for 10 HP of injury EACH in a 5 second time period, put peoples arms back on for free, and otherwise waltz around like the ultimate healbot)
This is very good for healing injuries, but it costs a ton to get the requisite 30 to cure HIV this way.

Last edited by Lamech; 05-10-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial Tentacles View Post
It specifically mentions removing Blindness.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #17
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
It specifically mentions removing Blindness.
It specifically mentions removing Blindness "caused by Affliction, Side Effect, or Symptoms".
Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #18
Lamech

But it would be utterly silly to allow it to fix blindness caused by an attack that destroyed the optic nerve by injecting methanol since if it was a side-affect, but not if it was bought at a store.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
But it would be utterly silly to allow it to fix blindness caused by an attack that destroyed the optic nerve by injecting methanol since if it was a side-affect, but not if it was bought at a store.
It's set up to fix temporary side-effects, not permanent ones.

If it is meant to fix permanent effects it was badly written.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
It's set up to fix temporary side-effects, not permanent ones.

If it is meant to fix permanent effects it was badly written.
I don't see anything that suggest that if the Affliction has Permanent, it can not be removed with Cure Affliction. Now, a permanent condition caused by a non-affliction effect, that, I agree that it won't be cured by Cure Affliction.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cure disease, healing, powers, spells