Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [DF] Healing up in Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog

"Awaken Healing," Kromm? What is "Awaken Healing?"
A typo. Fixed!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
Stone Dog

... Huh. Hardly seems worth going to a Temple for. Am I missing something?

I mean, sure it is a useful spell to have in the field, but in town it seems like it would be more effective to give somebody a good shake or a coffee rather than drag them down to the Temple.

But I have to say, the Temple of Imhotep is completely awesome.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin

I realize that "reality"-checking DF may not be appropriate, but $50/energy for ceremonial casting seems excessively high for most spells.
DF doesn't have jobs or cost of living, remember, and has high inflation driven by adventurers hauling back piles of coin. Also remember that these spells are the exclusive territory of clerics, who have a big, impressive, high-sanctity temple full of scroll-making scribes and novices to support. The moral of the story being that adventurers, by virtue of being rich, get ripped off . . . and the availability of wealth ensures that temples (and wizards' guilds, secret kung fu training schools, etc.) operate rather extravagantly.

In essence, each service-selling pro has a classroom full of newbie initiates to support. These novices don't earn a penny because they have no useful skills yet. Ergo, you're not merely paying the master's salary, but feeding and clothing his apprentices as well. You can opt not to support these clowns, but that won't get your buddy resurrected, will it?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog

... Huh. Hardly seems worth going to a Temple for. Am I missing something?
The cleric, who is the only one who can cast Awaken, is hit by a Suspended Animation curse. It's probably worth the copper to get him back rather than leave him to sleep forever.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
The cleric, who is the only one who can cast Awaken, is hit by a Suspended Animation curse. It's probably worth the copper to get him back rather than leave him to sleep forever.
Oh yeah, huh. That is one useful thing on an adventurer's list of needs. Thanks for the point out.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #16
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I'd charge $1/energy point for anything that a lone caster could manage with one spell without leaving himself a staggering mess or suffering injury (let's call it 10 energy points). Remember that minor-but-permanent magic items go for this rate! Healing in town isn't meant to be a major expense for delvers. The controls on healing in DF pertain to how much of it the PCs can manage in the dungeon, away from safety . . . which is why healing potions and scrolls are so costly.

For things that would require circles of casters or other mass magic – like Resurrection spells – I would simply charge the rates for "charged scrolls" found in DF 4. That comes to $50/energy point, or half what a charged, universal scroll would cost (thus, buyers of the latter can't profit by undercutting the temple).
Kromm, the existence of Power Items doesn't make cost/energy=5$? I mean, I can imagine a highly ornate altar being a Power Item worth millions,, and thus able to accumulate enough energy to cast Resurrection. Now, the head priest's time will be worth something, probably doubling the cost, but this is still 5 times cheaper than what you propose.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #17
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Kromm, the existence of Power Items doesn't make cost/energy=5$? I mean, I can imagine a highly ornate altar being a Power Item worth millions,, and thus able to accumulate enough energy to cast Resurrection. Now, the head priest's time will be worth something, probably doubling the cost, but this is still 5 times cheaper than what you propose.
I suspect the highly ornate altar is reserved for civil defense emergencies, where the entire dang town needs a Remove Disease and Major Healing, or Awaken cast on the entire city after some evil faerie godmother gets an idiot girl to stab herself with a piece of household equipment.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

For small spells: Power item recharges cost what they cost because somebody is making a profit on them, and because they're portable. Temples will just use ordinary FP, spent for casting, which are essentially free in most cases. Of course, they'll still charge for this!

For big spells: You aren't really paying for the energy – you're buying divine favor. For all that it matters, the spell per se might be free for the NPC clerics in their special temple. Either way, you aren't benefiting from a power item.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #19
munin

And even if it did cost only $5 and minimal time to recharge the altar, they're still going to soak adventurers at the $50/energy rate -- because they can, and because it allows them to support Dead Broke/Poor acolytes, pro bono work, etc. as Kromm said.

It's possible they charge locals the $5/energy rate or the rates I worked out, but adventurers aren't going to see any of that.
munin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #20
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
It's possible they charge locals the $5/energy rate or the rates I worked out, but adventurers aren't going to see any of that.
What, you don't think the nice old high priest is going to offer the Nymph local rates when she can't afford adventurer rates? For the sake of the genre, best to assume that the prices are fixed that high for everyone and that peasants just manage to come up with the cash somehow or live without.

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, healing, kromm explanation