Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
flynd

Default Fleeing multiple monsters with Winds of Fate

If in a fight with multiple monsters, does Winds of Fate flee from all of them (i.e. it moves the munchkin away from the combat) or from just one monster (i.e. the card substitutes one run away roll) ?

The text from the card:
"Yes, this curse can be used to let any munchkin, including yourself, Run Away."
flynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Marcus Evenstar

Location: Comfy Chair, Seattle Metroplex, NW US, NorthAm, Sol-3, Sector 2814
Default Re: Fleeing multiple monsters with Winds of Fate

The nature of the Curse is to "move the victim one room in any direction except through a wall." Since it can be played at any time (even Combat), it has the extra benefit to substitute for a Run Away roll for all monsters. (The munchkin would still get the health damage but he's out of the room.) I would like to note that we've used this Curse to take another munchkin from a winnable combat (denying levels & loot) and to go through locked & hidden doors (saving Move).

One of the best things about playing any form of Munchkin is finding out the weird synergies that occur with random cards. No other game can offer such delights as an Ancient Hairy Greater Flying Frogs!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
pk2317

Question about this card. We were playing a game today, and one player was at level 10 and heading for the entrance. I didn't think she would have enough move to get there, but she played a card that gave her 2 extra and got to the entrance. When I realized it, I tried to play this card, but she was technically already in the entrance and getting ready to fight the Boss Monster.

Her claim was that as soon as she entered the room, she was "in combat" with the Boss Monster, and "no card can be played to avoid this fight" once it has begun (and it begins automatically). My claim was that I was still in the "2.6 second" phase, and she hadn't even drawn the monster card yet. Thoughts?
pk2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The intent of the "no card may be played to avoid this fight" is that there is no way to win without fighting the Boss. You absolutely can play Winds of Fate to kick someone out of the Entrance, because they'll still have to fight a Boss to leave (on their next turn, presumably).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2317
Her claim was that as soon as she entered the room, she was "in combat" with the Boss Monster, and "no card can be played to avoid this fight" once it has begun (and it begins automatically). My claim was that I was still in the "2.6 second" phase, and she hadn't even drawn the monster card yet. Thoughts?
Though you were correct, that Winds Of Fate can move her away from the combat, your understanding of the "2.6 second" rule is incorrect. Once the main combatant has decided that he wants to roll for the combat, he has to give players a reasonable amount of time to do something to affect the combat. Of course, this might change the main combatant's decision to roll while he figures out what he can do to make things advantageous again. . . My point, however, is this: The point of the "2.6 second" rule is not to give you ample time to stop anything anyone ever does, but give you ample time to change the conditions of combat before the roll once the main combatant has decided he wants to roll.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
pk2317

Thank you very much for (both) your replies. I do understand that the "2.6 second" rule is really about combat, not about every single nit-picky decision that someone makes. I was more trying to point out that I had done it as soon as I was able to, in case she wasn't able to be Cursed away from the Boss monster. So either way, my question was answered, thanks! :)
pk2317 is offline   Reply With Quote