Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
Anders

Default Cosmic: Always rolls a 10 (+xx%)

So this is a version of No Dice Roll Required which means you always rolls a 10. On the one hand, the usual NDRR lets you eat much larger penalties (down to effective skill 3). On the other, you can get a Margin Of Success greater than 0. Since players, being sneaky, are likely to use it on abilities with few penalties I am inclined to make it more expensive than NDRR. What do you think?
Old 12-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: Cosmic: Always rolls a 10 (+xx%)

Presumably, one is purchasing this ability rather than No Die Roll Required because one is purchasing a Margin-of-Success based ability where that enhancement would be forbidden. All the examples I can think of have the opponent roll a resistance roll, and compare their margin of success to your margin of success, so this ability doesn't take away the ability of your target to get lucky and resist, but merely tightens the bell curve a bit. Note that pricing it at +100% like No Die Roll Required would theoretically allow you to purchase Reliable +20 for the same price, which would amount to an awful lot of extra margin of success (EDIT: Of course, I would never in a million years permit a straight Reliable +20 on a resisted ability, but it's still a point of comparison). All in all, I wouldn't price this too highly unless there's a big loophole I'm not seeing- the more so as it would slightly speed up play, which is something to be encouraged where practical.

Last edited by ravenfish; 12-22-2020 at 02:02 PM.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Presumably, one is purchasing this ability rather than No Die Roll Required because one is purchasing a Margin-of-Success based ability where that enhancement would be forbidden. All the examples I can think of have the opponent roll a resistance roll, and compare their margin of success to your margin of success, so this ability doesn't take away the ability of your target to get lucky and resist, but merely tightens the bell curve a bit. Note that pricing it at +100% like No Die Roll Required would theoretically allow you to purchase Reliable +20 for the same price, which would amount to an awful lot of extra margin of success (EDIT: Of course, I would never in a million years permit a straight Reliable +20 on a resisted ability, but it's still a point of comparison). All in all, I wouldn't price this too highly unless there's a big loophole I'm not seeing- the more so as it would slightly speed up play, which is something to be encouraged where practical.
using a different attribute is +20%, which might suggest a generic cost for a theoretically equivalent contest which is still probably skewed in the different stats favor.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

I would value it at +300% for resisted abilities, +100% otherwise.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
+100% for unresisted abilities is clearly wrong, since essentially all of those qualify for No Die Roll required, and always roll a 3 for +100%.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
using a different attribute is +20%, which might suggest a generic cost for a theoretically equivalent contest which is still probably skewed in the different stats favor.
Quote:
If +20% is too low, and +100% is too high, how about +300% for resisted abilities, +50% otherwise?

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
If +20% is too low, and +100% is too high, how about +300% for resisted abilities, +50% otherwise?
+50% sounds fair for nonresisted abilities- intuitively speaking, calling "guaranteed an average roll" half as good as "guaranteed the best roll" seems reasonable.

+300% seems high, even for resisted abilities. +300% enhancements ought to be more or less gamebreaking, which this really isn't- examples of +300% cosmic enhancements are mostly those which completely negate defenses, which this doesn't, as it merely reduces but does not eliminate the odds of the enemy getting lucky when the odds are in your favor (EDIT: and makes you less likely to get lucky when the odds favor your opponent). I might be persuaded to come out in support of +150%.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Cosmic, No Roll Required, does not give you a roll of 3, it gives you success as long as you have an effective skill of 3+ (Powers, p. 101).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Cosmic, No Roll Required, does not give you a roll of 3, it gives you success as long as you have an effective skill of 3+ (Powers, p. 101).
This (the OP concept) gives success as long as you have an effective skill of 10 or higher, or so I understand. Which means there's probably a scalable enhancement that could be extracted.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So this is a version of No Dice Roll Required which means you always rolls a 10. On the one hand, the usual NDRR lets you eat much larger penalties (down to effective skill 3). On the other, you can get a Margin Of Success greater than 0. Since players, being sneaky, are likely to use it on abilities with few penalties I am inclined to make it more expensive than NDRR. What do you think?
So I originally priced this as +0% for a Pyramid article (my "Cursed Thou Art" article for the curious, specifically for the Jinx disadvantage), but it didn't make the cut. This assumes a roll of 11 or less, instead of using your own attribute or skill, is a feature, and decreasing it is worth about -1.5% per -1, while increasing it is +5% per +1. That did not work out. Were I pricing it today I would have it cost +50% as a form of Cosmic and have each -1 to the roll be worth -1.5% and each +1 worth +5%.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosmic, enhancements