Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Moldon

Default Rune Giant (Pathfinder)

1. It get +3 "against anyone with no Big items"
does it bonus stack, if both main player and helper have no Big item? (I think not, but it is unusual wording)

2. In its Bad Stuff I must roll a die and discard items on 1-3. If I have Chicken on my head and roll 0 (zero) is my item safe? (or it must be errated like 3,872 Orcs?)

Last edited by Moldon; 03-08-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Rune Giant (Pathfinder)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldon View Post
1. It get +3 "against anyone with no Big items"
does it bonus stack, if both main player and helper have no Big item? (I think not, but it is unusual wording)
No. Like other bonuses (+4 against Elves for example,) the bonus only counts once if either player involved has no Big Items.

Quote:
2. In its Bad Stuff I must roll a die and discard items on 1-3. If I have Chicken on my head and roll 0 (zero) is my item safe? (or it must be errated like 3,872 Orcs?)
It's not an errata, but it has been stated officially that when a card doesn't cover the particular number you rolled, but is clearly using a range, that you treat zeros and lower as 1; and 7s and higher as 6.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Moldon

Clipper, do you have proof?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Andrew said as much. I'm not looking for any particular post right now since I'm heading out the door. For now, take it on my official say-so that Clipper is correct until such time as Andrew weighs in, or Clipper hunts down proof.
MiB #1029
Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
TheDruidBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Andrew said as much. I'm not looking for any particular post right now since I'm heading out the door. For now, take it on my official say-so that Clipper is correct until such time as Andrew weighs in, or Clipper hunts down proof.
While I am not Andrew, I am a MIB and I remember discussions about this very thing. I do not have final word either, that comes from the Czar himself, but from the conversations and what I read in the FAQ, Bonuses (and penalties) DO stack.

This can be found in the FAQ of Munchkin.
Q. Do combat bonuses that monsters receive against Races or Classes stack? For example, if a monster gets +4 against Dwarves and +4 against Elves and I'm a half-Dwarf/half-Elf, does that monster get +8 in combat against me?
A. Unless it says otherwise on the card itself, monster combat bonuses do stack. This means that the above monster would be a +8. (Fair warning: this is a change from previous discussions, but it IS the official ruling henceforth.)
So that being said, it has been used in many of our games to prevent certain helpers from joining in (who wants to get help from a level 9 Elf anyway).

Jim

Last edited by TheDruidBear; 03-12-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

That's if a monster has separate bonuses. In the FAQ example, two elves don't make it +8.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDruidBear View Post
While I am not Andrew, I am a MIB and I remember discussions about this very thing. I do not have final word either, that comes from the Czar himself, but from the conversations and what I read in the FAQ, Bonuses (and penalties) DO stack.
Actually, the rules say (and have always said):
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
If you are facing the Drooling Slime and an Elf helps you, the monster’s combat strength is increased by 4 (unless you, too, are an Elf and the monster’s combat strength has already been increased).
For the record, I'm also a MIB, but beyond that, I actually give out official responses for Munchkin as the Munchkin NetRep. So, I'm saying this officially: You're incorrect, for exactly the reason already given by Devin, who also gives official responses for Munchkin as Andrew's Hireling, and as documented in the rules.

Devin's and my status are documented in the thread entitled "READ THIS FIRST!" in this very forum, in case you were wondering.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-12-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
TheDruidBear

I stand corrected and will adjust our play accordingly.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
MunchkinMan

And, to be clear and certain, the rules have always said that, so this is not a case where we used to do it one way, and now we do it another. Which, of course, has happened. Just not this time.
MiB #1029
Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #10
Moldon

My question arose because usually we are talking about that the player have (Race, Klasse еtc), and here it is about what the player have not.

usually it is: get bonus once if any fighter have it

here I can see three variants:
1. get bonus once if any fighter (one or both) have no Big Item
2. get bonus once if there is no Big Item in battle (only if both fighter have no Big Item)
3. get bonus against each who have no Big Item (questionably)