Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #11
The Benj

Default Re: Is there a spell to see through illusions?

True Sight elixir, maybe?
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:55 PM   #12
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I doubt it. Magical illusions have no reason to have frames per second.
But they might. Or there might be some other aspect of it that has a similar tell-tale. Just proposing something that might work if someone wants to create a way to see through illusions with a reasonable point cost attached so it's not common.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:30 AM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
But they might. Or there might be some other aspect of it that has a similar tell-tale. Just proposing something that might work if someone wants to create a way to see through illusions with a reasonable point cost attached so it's not common.
You could just turn the Detect Illusion Advantage into a Sense. That would work.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:51 AM   #14
The Benj

If you're going into Advantages, you can just take See Invisible with True Sight. Cursed Lich is looking for spells, I think.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:40 AM   #15
Pursuivant

Per RAW, no.

But remember that, per RAW, many Illusion & Creation spells automatically give observers the ability to disbelieve by Concentrating and making a Will roll.

Additionally, any damage will dispel or disrupt most illusions, revealing them for what they are, so any area effect damaging spells or powers will have the side effect of spoiling illusions within their area of effect. On a mundane level, this might be as simple as "recon by fire" - shooting at a suspected illusion to determine whether it's real or not.

If you want house rules, ideas, the idea of disbelieving illusions could be extended could be extended to all I&C spells, possibly at a penalty to Will rolls.

A Perk might allow Perception to be substituted for Will rolls to disbelieve, allowing low IQ creatures with good senses a reasonable chance to detect illusions.

It's also entirely logical to allow Magic Resistance to boost Will rolls to disbelieve.

If you were to introduce a new spell or advantage, base any "See Illusion" spell off of See Invisibility. Likewise, base any "See Illusion" advantage on the See Invisible advantage, perhaps with a limitation if you're just limited to detecting magical illusions.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #16
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed_Lich View Post
I've been looking around, checking the books and pyramids I have available (not as many I would like to have though) and I couldn't find a spell that can see through illusion without extraordinary conditions attached (a resisted check against the illusion's caster is ok).

Mage Sight would say the object/subject I see has a magical aura, but not that is a illusion per se.
See Secrets would see a secret passage behind an illusory wall but will not work against the illusion of a goblin walking through a corridor.

Is there something usable for that purpose (of seeing through illusions) available? It can be as specific as only works against illusions or broad similar to D&D's True Seeing spell.
Note that True Seeing effectively combines what amounts to Dark Vision, Know Illusion, and See Invisible into one spell. If that wasn't enough its 120 feet (40 yards) range is ridiculous.

That spell, even by D&D standards, is way to OP/
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #17
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
If you're going into Advantages, you can just take See Invisible with True Sight. Cursed Lich is looking for spells, I think.
Two things
1. True Sight is an elixir not an advantage
2. "Gives subject the power to see auras, as per the Aura spell" (M216)

"Illusions and created beings have no aura, so a successful casting of this spell distinguishes them from real persons." - Aura Spell (M101)

However, Aure would be no use against most of Utgard-Loki's illusions.

Aura would show the "cat" as a living creature but not that it was in reality Jörmungandr (Midgard Serpent). It wouldn't show that the drinking horn was connected to the ocean or that Skrımir was in reality Utgard-Loki with an illusion cast on himself.

Aura might show that the "Skrımir" Thor's hammer was hitting was nearby mountains (though there is a version of the story where "Skrımir" picked up mountains nearby to keep Thor from bashing in his head.

Not too sure what Aura would do with Logi (personification of fire), Hugi (personification of thought) or the old woman (personification of Old Age)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:33 PM   #18
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Two things
1. True Sight is an elixir not an advantage
2. "Gives subject the power to see auras, as per the Aura spell" (M216)
I mentioned the elixir earlier, but here I WAS talking about the See Invisible advantage, with the True Sight enhancement from Powers.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #19
dcarson

If Mage Sight tells you that someone has a magic aura I'd give a bonus to you Will for resisting the illusion or allow another chance at the roll. You know something is up.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #20
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
If Mage Sight tells you that someone has a magic aura I'd give a bonus to you Will for resisting the illusion or allow another chance at the roll. You know something is up.
"Detect all magical items in your field of vision."

Mage Sight only works on items not creatures living or dead.

Tags
illusion, spells