Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
Michael Cule

Default [BANESTORM]: What happens next in Megalos?

I've finally persuaded one of my groups to let me run THE EMPEROR'S MEN which is a campaign in which the party are confidential agents working for the new Emperor of Megalos after their earlier characters ended the existence of the Demon Emperor. I'm going to have them work for an Imperial Magistrate, a new office invented to help prevent the disintegration of the Empire.

So what I'd like to do is pick peoples' brains about what happens after the old son-of-perdition goes back to Hell.

In my continuity that happened the night before the Emperor's New Millenium Ball so we're some way in the past of Yrth. I'd listen with interest to any schemes people have about the future development of the setting even if in those timelines Diophrates was still busily corrupting people.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
isf

Default Re: [BANESTORM]: What happens next in Megalos?

If the nature of the Demon Emperor was known even to a select group of powerful people in the setting, I'd expect to see a lot of anti-demon and anti-infiltrator activity. How many others were found to be possessed? Did any factions use this unjustly against rivals?
Old 10-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
Rolando

-Some provinces may try to get more influence.
-Araterre may try to get away from imperial grasp.
-Al-Wasif may try to expand, militarily or economically in Megalos territory, or maybe make new agreements (if the leaders are more diplomatic).
-In Caithneese the civil war will finally explode (or some new lords war). Without the menace of a strong Megalos lurking in the border Carrick nd Durham may send more troops to the west fiefs.
-The nomads will increase the raids and get bolder, travelling farther south.

Megalos is he most powerful entity, anything that disturb it will affect the rest of the known world.

As things get complicated for everyone in charge in the Empire fringe groups like the engineers, Abidos, witches and vampires (Maskill) may try to offer alternative aid to get better in the Empire eyes.

It will be a time of change and I think that it will be good to show it at every moment. Unexpected aid and situations should be at the order of the day... Maybe even a Djinn travel across the continent to offer help, if a demon was emperor of mankind for a while why a Djinn can't? It would be amusing at the east.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
Michael Cule

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
If the nature of the Demon Emperor was known even to a select group of powerful people in the setting, I'd expect to see a lot of anti-demon and anti-infiltrator activity. How many others were found to be possessed? Did any factions use this unjustly against rivals?
Well, the facts of the Demon Emperor's destruction (at the hands of a group of foreign adventurers and in the presence of his son and heir) could not be kept secret.

Nor could the fact that the son-and-heir offered marriage to the leader of the adventurers and was turned down.

So the story of the substitution of the demon for the Emperor is well known. It's not undisputed: it's especially disputed by the Templars who are calling it a total lie and an excuse to seize their holdings.

There are in fact no other demonic substitutions but that wouldn't stop a lot of people indulging in paranoia, demanding that extra inquisitors be appointed and sprinkling every stranger they meet with holy water.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Rigil_Kent

My first thought is probably "civil war." Some powerful faction within the empire sees an opportunity in this temporary chaos and makes a play for the throne, which inevitably results in another faction making a play. So PCs could easily be tasked with putting out fires whether through brute force or targeted assassination(s), depending on play style...

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
Michael Cule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
My first thought is probably "civil war." Some powerful faction within the empire sees an opportunity in this temporary chaos and makes a play for the throne, which inevitably results in another faction making a play. So PCs could easily be tasked with putting out fires whether through brute force or targeted assassination(s), depending on play style...
I was thinking more of secession (not that they would call it that) but regions breaking away.

The Templars have their own island territory so they will give it a try. The goblins in the south might decide this was the time to declare home rule. The Church lands around New Jerusalem might decide that the Mandate of Heaven is theirs now.

But the threat of the Caliph's forces on the desert borders might deter at least one of those.

The armies are based on Roman Legions, which is good for discipline but might also make generals a little too powerful.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
David Johansen

The Black Wood Strikes Back!

While intercene strife weakens the human empire of Megalos, the dark lord of the forest strikes. The skies fill with squadrons of Gargoyles. Hobgoblin hordes march on nearby settlements. Dark elven sorcerers direct and coordinate the assault. But in the rear rides a dark figure with a horned helm on a giant black stag and the creatures of the wood almost seem to flee before him as they hurl themselves wildly against the legions of Megalos.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
Alden Loveshade

The demonic emperor being unconcerned about, or not understanding. border issues can be a very good reason why Megalos didn't quickly take advantage of Caithness' Civil War.

My suspicion is the emperor would have been exposed by now; a child might have cried out, "The Emperor is..a Demon!" OK, so that's not terribly likely. But if publicly exposed, choosing the replacement could have led to violent conflict.

However, it's entirely possible, even quite likely, that the "exposure" was known by very few people. The whole thing could have been covered up. There could still have been a violent conflict over the successor, though. Or it could have been, "If he can get rid of a demon emperor, I'm not foolish enough to oppose his claim to the throne!"
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
Sorenant

Couldn't Diophrates reveal his demonic identity by himself? He could wait for the Civil War being over while feeding Dexnavi money and talented people, keeping the Ministry of Serendipity away from Araterre so the Underground Engineers there can develop firearms, and maybe set a forest or two on fire ot **** off the dark elves. Then when the recipe for discord is just right he exposes himself and Jordan before making an escape. He'd break the confidence in the Curia hopefully(?) causing a schism and leave the empire headless, ready for taking.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #10
Michael Cule

The Emperor's demise is a done deed in the history of my Yrth and I don't want to go back over it.

There being a cover-up is possible but I don't want to confuse the players as they try to keep straight what their current characters know about what their previous characters did.

Yes, neglect of the borders is something that would happen under the Demon Emperor (the new Emperor sometimes finds himself saying 'When my Father.... I mean the Usurper...') and so is neglect of other vital areas. (Note to self: figure out what those would be.) The demon was far too busy having fun and corrupting people to do much intentional damage but what neglect and incompetence can achieve has been done.

(I wonder what that reminds me of? Note to self: keep it fantastical and don't draw too many real world paralells. You've over indulged in political point making too often in the past.)

Tags
banestorm, demon, yrth