Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Generic Term For 'Magic' Items?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Fairly simple question. Magic Items only really applies to items that are made using magic. If I want to talk about such items in general or items with undefined source what's the term? And what's the term for the creation process?

And what about other sources? Psionic is often used for Psi made stuff, but what about Chi/Ki? Racial?
The first part of your question seemed straightforward, but then your second part made me doubt my interpretation of the first part.

For the first part: Are you looking for "the word that means an object with powers or capabilities that are added to that object via non-technological processes"? That's a REALLY broad term and I'm pretty sure "layperson" English doesn't have a word for that.

An archaeologist would likely call it a "ritual item", but that's because archaeologists call everything with an unknown use or use beyond its mundane function a "ritual item". To the point where I suspect "art objects" and "executive desk toy" kind of pointless fiddly objects are being labeled "ritual items".
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #12
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The first part of your question seemed straightforward, but then your second part made me doubt my interpretation of the first part.
I'd been kicking around the idea for the post for a bit, but when I started writing it I realized I was asking about specific Power Sources, so I added that bit at the end because I'd need to ask that someday as well.

Quote:
For the first part: Are you looking for "the word that means an object with powers or capabilities that are added to that object via non-technological processes"? That's a REALLY broad term and I'm pretty sure "layperson" English doesn't have a word for that.
Pretty much, but rather then non-technological I'd use supernatural or para-normal, quite possibly in the sense that these could be used in place of technology.

Quote:
An archaeologist would likely call it a "ritual item", but that's because archaeologists call everything with an unknown use or use beyond its mundane function a "ritual item". To the point where I suspect "art objects" and "executive desk toy" kind of pointless fiddly objects are being labeled "ritual items".
There's a difference?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #13
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
There's a difference?
I have a Hellboy figurine on my bookshelf. It doesn't serve a ritual purpose - it is part of no rituals. Decoration is not ritual.

Similarly, a stress ball is not used for a ritual (any more than chewing on pencils or finger-nails is a ritual). There are no rituals around the ball clacker toy, nor around dippy birds.

It's not that archaeology categorizes toys and games as "ritual objects", it's not some sort of catch-all for "not survival related". Identified dice, game boards, childrens dolls, toy wooden horses and so on are not ritual items.

It's not exactly textbook practice to say "I don't know what this is for, it must be a ritual item" - the problem is that it's common for archaeologists to do this. Archaeology is in part creating a narrative around the artifacts discovered; this is a bad trope that keeps getting re-used. Tropes are not wrong! There are ritual items, it's not a mythical category. It's just abused.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #14
Culture20

Fantastic. Works for magic or super-science.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
scc

Bruno, I was talking about between "art objects" and "executive desk toys". That said, Ritual Objects might be a good one for Magic Items made via RPM
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #16
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I've seen a few fictional sources uses "Artifact" as a generic term for "magic/psi/holy" items; even "precursor artifact" is used in sci-fi to describe devices left behind by precursor races.

The Catholic Church uses the term "Relics" for items or body parts associated with Saints, often times believed to possess divine/magical powers.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
Purple Haze

I like "weird". It can imply magic, psychic, supernatural, super-power, or super-science.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #18
Drop Bear

go with Enhanced or Augmented. and don't forget

"Any Technolodgy Advanced Enough is Indigestible from Magic"

or my favorite

"Any Technology is Magic to those who do not Understand it"
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic items