Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Compatability of Previous Editions

Recently I've been digging through a friends 3rd edition books for setting information in preparation for a fantasy game I'm going to be running.

It's going to be in 4th edition, but I've found several things I'd like to use. I know that the setting information is usable but what about NPC's?

I'd also like to use the Magic Item books, but don't know if they can be used as is, or how difficult would it be to translate them?
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Compatability of Previous Editions

While the cost of stats changed between the editions, the stats can pretty much be used as is. You just drop passive defense. Magic has not been significantly changed.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Blind Mapmaker

Default Re: Compatability of Previous Editions

For simple combat stats just drop PD as David has said, but increase all active defences by +3 to compensate. The amount a given character can lift has also been changed. For a more detailed treatment have a look at the free GURPS Update. It will solve most of your problems. Generally there's not so much to adjust unless you made extensive use of modifiers. Many disadvantages use a graduated scale now and talents are a good way to model some character types that were lacking in 3rd Edition.

Magic has changed somewhat, but mostly in how much energy you can put into some spells and that limiting Magery to three levels is just a suggestion now. Magic Items should almost always work without much tweaking. If you want to make magic more flavourful I can highly recommend GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles. Best eight bucks I ever spent to patch some atmosphere into GURPS Magic.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversions, magic, magic items