Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2022, 08:37 PM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: Settings and Adventures I love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
I'd like to see updates for GURPS Cabal and the Hellboy RPG, personally.
GURPS Cabal should be possible as its owned by SJG and part of Infinite Worlds. I have an outline for a pitch "someday" that may or may not include Book/Path material.
GURPS Hellboy though would involve renewing the license and thus costs additional money. Not sure the license is worth it. Especially after the last movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Yes, but it does have toon racial templates, and advice on how to make them the full on "can't hurt a toon!" type . . .
Yeah, and it might have to do. What he pitched was more a Powered by GURPS product that would be aimed at a very young market. So not really on the wishlist but if one were to pitch it I would start with the article on Toons from Pyramid as a base. I think it was by Kelly Pedersen.
And I would hide all the math of the powers and schticks and include them in an Under The Hood box or appendix rather than at the end of each power. That would make it less intimidating. I would add Impulse Buys for narrative effects, Wildcard skills to keep skill lists short and intuitive, and build a bunch of powers like "Falling Anvil".
Ideally aim to cover multiple subgenres of animation, maybe even animae and Magical Girls.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:09 PM   #22
Kage2020

Okay, I'll try and add my thrupence to this thread.

In GURPS 4e none of the settings have really excited me. Infinite Worlds, Banestorm, Prime Directive, and the smaller, bite-sized settings? I don't really get anything.

Sure, Discworld I have a lot of time, but I've never felt like it's a setting that I can run and do justice to it.

Heading back to 3e, there are a few more settings that jump out. Blue Planet, Cabal etc., but really I find them more interesting to look into and get ideas for a another, ideocratic setting.

I'm generally more intrigued by the genre-settings like Action, After the End, and Monster Hunters. They're thematic enough to be more "universal" as well as being exemplars of the genre-setting itself.

Told you that you wouldn't like the answer.
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:23 PM   #23
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post

Heading back to 3e, there are a few more settings that jump out. Blue Planet, Cabal etc., but really I find them more interesting to look into and get ideas for a another, ideocratic setting.

I'm generally more intrigued by the genre-settings like Action, After the End, and Monster Hunters. They're thematic enough to be more "universal" as well as being exemplars of the genre-setting itself.

Told you that you wouldn't like the answer.
Nah, its a good answer. I use settings mostly as idea fodder myself. Never really liked Blue Planet personally, the rest were good for me though.
I see no reason we can't add 3e settings to the thread, long as were just wishing anyhow.
Licensed settings too, but realize that 3e settings may have a hard time getting someone wanting to update them and getting approved. Third party license's are vey unlikely to get approved and in any case the guidelines are get the license then come to SJG to negotiate with the rights in hand. So really its more up to the author or their managers to make those pitches.
I think I'll update my initial post.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #24
Rolando

I would like to see more setting and campaigns for Madness Dossier, Reign of Steel and Banestorm. Those jump to my mind first.

Also OGRE, it is an easy crossover and I think have a lot of potential for gritty and dark adventure for civilians and military sci fi. Translating it to 4ed and adding some material like what was done for Reign of Steel is a good start I believe.

Another setting I would really like to see more development and expanded is the GURPS Horror "Blood in the Craters" and the GURPS Dragons settings, all of them.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #25
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
There are several Traveller campaigns that are available. The Pirates of Drinix is considered good. Mongoose has a few other campaigns.
Published for GURPS rules? Amazing. Where are they, please? I want to buy them. Can you give me a link?

I'm really ready to support any GURPS campaigns, no matter the genre and the game world. Hey, I bought a universal and generic role playing system! That's not to get stuck with only one game world ...

And I really think that it is what GURPS lacks to attract people. All other roleplaying games (all those who sell and attract newcomers) publish campaigns. Including generic and universal ones. Rules don't attract people. Campaigns do.

"Hey, come on guys, you will play a game where you roll 3d6 against your stat and calculate the margin of success to compare it to the margin of success of your opponent ..."

"Hey, come on guys, you will be a huckster in a weird wild west with unliving marshals, strange creatures, and you will be able to cast spell by gambling with manitous ..." or "Hey, come on guys, you will solve a mystery about ancient insane deities while travelling all around the world on the Orient Express during the roaring twenties ..." That attracts people.

Last edited by Gollum; 06-21-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:13 PM   #26
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Just recently we have GURPS Girl Genius and GURPS Infinite Worlds: Nightreign. What we need is for writers to want to write the things you want and to make good pitches.
Yes, we've got very attractive and original game worlds. I bought several of them.

But the problem with GURPS game worlds is that once you read them with great enthusiasm, and even stars in the eyes, you wonder, then ...

"And now, what can I do for my players?"

You are left with a huge amount of preparation work to do by yourself. At best, you've got a litlle adventure. But you will have a lot of preparation work to do after that.

While other companies offer several adventures ready to play in their amazing game world. So, if you are not already fond of GURPS, you simply don't choose GURPS. You choose the generic system that gives you all what you need to start out of the box.

Last edited by Gollum; 06-21-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:22 PM   #27
Gollum

Quote:
I think a GURPS My Little Pony or some such might hit a fresh market. And if it sells certainly do a lot to disabuse the "GURPS is too complicated and requires advanced math" meme.
As everyone who love GURPS knows it, GURPS can be simple enough to do it. And that would be a very good way to show it.

Nolinquisitor did it with Sharknado First Bite. Fun, fast and furious, with very simplified GURPS rules, but still GURPS rules.

Last edited by Gollum; 06-21-2022 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:32 PM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Published for GURPS rules? Amazing. Where are they, please? I want to buy them. Can you give me a link?
Third Edition GURPS Traveler Classic by Far Range Enterprises has a bunch of supplements.
Fourth Edition GURPS Interstellar War by the same company, I think only has 1 supplement but the 3e stuff is easy enough to convert. Mostly its just different point costs.

Steve Jackson Games may not allow just anyone to publish their IP but I can think of 3 companies that license the rules for their own material.
SO its certainly possible.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-21-2022, 11:38 PM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
While other companies offer several adventures ready to play in their amazing game world. So, if you are not already fond of GURPS, you simply don't choose GURPS. You choose the generic system that gives you all what you need to start out of the box.
The other thread just got closed. IO would appreciate that not happening here so implore everyone to stay on topic with actionable ideas or expression of preferences readers can implement.
"More adventures" "Adventure Paths" are pretty useless here. Specific things you want to adventures written for? That is actionable as a writer could see some interest and decide to pitch it. or maybe even just do a blog one like OneShotAdventures or Malanka's Psi Wars..
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-21-2022, 11:59 PM   #30
Gollum

Quote:
Third Edition GURPS Traveler Classic by Far Range Enterprises has a bunch of supplements.
Fourth Edition GURPS Interstellar War by the same company, I think only has 1 supplement but the 3e stuff is easy enough to convert. Mostly its just different point costs.

Steve Jackson Games may not allow just anyone to publish their IP but I can think of 3 companies that license the rules for their own material.
SO its certainly possible.
Thank you very much!

Of course it is possible!

And it makes me rather pessimistic about GURPS future. I read here or there that GURPS doesn't sell well, that Steve Jackson still like it so much that he goes on publishing it with the money earned from other games (which may be completely wrong, of course – I don't know if it is truth or just a rumor). And every time I tell that GURPS campaigns would help by attracting people, the answer is: it's not possible for a so generic game, it wouldn't sell, etc.

But other companies does it and seem to sell very well. They even get awards for their campaigns. So, it is possible. That is not the question. And GURPS is a great game which could attract a lot of people.

Complex? Yes! Because very detailed. But, damn it, it is its main strength! GURPS is a game where you can detail your character as much as you want and in which each one of these little detail will have a true impact on course of the game. Perks, Quirks, Specializations, Techniques, they are not just descriptions that the player roleplay from time to time. They influence the rolls in moments of intense suspense. This is what makes GURPS.

But what? Some other games are complex too, and they do attract people! Shadowrun. Pathfinder, Runequest, and so on. People love them.

How do their companies sell them? By pubishing amazing campaigns for them ... So, it can be done for GURPS.

Steve Jackson Games may not have enough money for the investment (writing a good campaign is not easy, I perfectly know that: the last one I bought, Les encagés, was written by one of the most famous French authors, Tristan Lhomme, and required five years of work). But other people could write them. With Steve Jackson Games approval. Some fans could do it too. J.C. Connors, for instance, write outstanding adventures for GURPS on his website, 1shotadventures.

And if Steve Jackson Games could make some very clear link to that work, it would really help. I'm a GURPS fan since 1990, and didn't know that there were GURPS campaigns on the web. They are hard to find. As GURPS one shot adventures are hard to find, which is a big problem for those who want to test the game with GURPS Lite. Even official GURPS adventures are hard to find, lost between the very long list of all other supplements. It's even hard to know whether they are true ready to play adventures (with a developped story arc) or just seeds of adventures with some maps, items and NPCs.

That is not good at all for the GMs who look for ready to play campaigns and adventures. That enforce them to buy them by other publishers, which is a loss of income. And sometimes a loss of fans, who, fed up of having to perpetually make the adaptations to GURPS rules, eventually give up and play them with the rules for which they were originally written. I did hesitate a lot to do that and still do again, from time to time. Call of Cthulhu, Aliens and the Year Zero Engine became very good game systems too.

So, if any staff member do read us, or if someone can forward the request, please, Steve Jackson Games, do highlight adventures and campaigns written for GURPS! That would really help newcomers (and old veterans who desperately look for them).

Last edited by Gollum; 06-22-2022 at 12:28 AM.