Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: Unkillable with reincarnation questions...

What would be the limitation for only being able to come back as your race?

What would the limitation be for losing character points with each reincarnation?

What would be the limitation if you reincarnated as a demon if you were evil? Essentially canceling out the advantage. As in, you lose your character because he/she is now a demon.

Thanks.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Quick Question: Unkillable with reincarnation questions...

1. Unless you're a dying race, it's more just a feature than a limitation.

2. You're supposed to make an entirely new character anyway (you always keep the Unkillable, though), unless you have Reawakened.

3. Since the RAW says you always retain the advantage, it just means you're a demon until somebody manages to kill you.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Not much, I'd think. Maybe -5%? It's not especially limiting in most cases. It's the default for Unkilllable without Reincarnation, after all.
Quote:
What would the limitation be for losing character points with each reincarnation?
Extra Option: Miraculous Recovery (May buy Extra Life with Reincarnation as an Impulse Buy) and Extra Option: Sacrifice for [2]
Quote:
What would be the limitation if you reincarnated as a demon if you were evil? Essentially canceling out the advantage. As in, you lose your character because he/she is now a demon.
Feature [0]
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
On reincarnation, this might be an enhancement. I'd call it -0% personally

Quote:
The usual method is divide final cost by 5, and that's the number of points it costs for each use (i.e. buy it as One Use, but you rebuy it after you use it). There's a Costs Character Points limitation somewhere too.

Quote:
If you lose the character, that's not a limited version of Unkillable at all. It's a perk. A variation of Covenant of Rest - you die and can't be brought back.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
If you lose the character, that's not a limitation, it's a perk. A variation of Covenant of Rest - you die and can't be brought back.
You do come back, as a hostile entity! That's definitely no-bueno. The reason Covenant of Rest is worth points is that you can't be brought back to attack your friends (or your new character). This thing basically guarantees that the demon will do so (armed with all kinds of knowledge about the surviving PCs too!). Definitely not an advantage, even a perk.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Definitely not an advantage, even a perk.
I'd suggest Divine Curse or bad Destiny then. Or just campaign feature unless it's very common in campaign to have characters dying and returning as demon adversaries.
Or Pact limitation on Unkillable if you need point cost.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
That is not a limitation. The GM gets final say over what you come back as anyway, which is part of what makes it a -20% limitation.

Quote:
You know what I call that? Not having Reincarnation. It's just making up a new character at starting point values and saying it's the reincarnation of your old character.

Quote:
That is also not Reincarnation. It's a -5 point Destiny.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
kirbwarrior

Only being your own race sounds like a feature; less confusion, but less options.

I would instead buy Extra Lives with Reincarnation on them, unless the ability only costs 1 pt.

That last one, I'm going to go the complicated route. You can exchange Unkillable for the ghost-type templates by RAW. So, we make it so this is automatic if you are evil, then come up with what the demon template is. That is maybe a quirk or nuisance effect, I'm not sure. Unless you lose the character (PC becoming NPC) onto which it would be a bad Destiny (level based on how big the demon is; -5 for you turning into the new party Enemy, -15 for becoming the new Big Bad).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
The Benj

Quote:
+0%

Quote:
Sounds like the 1/5th cost thing mentioned earlier.

Quote:
A Pact Limitation, plus a Feature. If you broke the Pact and haven't redeemed yourself, you lose Unkillable and will instead spawn a demon if you die.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
A Pact Limitation, plus a Feature. If you broke the Pact and haven't redeemed yourself, you lose Unkillable and will instead spawn a demon if you die.
That's beautiful and perfect. I gotta find a way to use that in my next game.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character points, limitation, race, reincarnation, unkillable