Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #51
Allensh

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

When I get slept by a Wizard the continue button does not work

Allen
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #52
andreww

Have not fixed the spider thing, but it will be done in the next version. I am also a little unhappy with a spider being "knocked down". I think the message in that case should be "flipped over". Does that make sense to everyone else?

That's just superficial, though. The spider needs to lose it's next attack...
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #53
andreww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
When I get slept by a Wizard the continue button does not work

Allen
Hmmm. The only wizard currently using the sleep spell is not actually in the game. I really want to include that wizard, but haven't had time to finish coding him. So that wizard should not appear. I have fixed the continue button so that it will work, but how did you ever encounter that wizard? In the arena or the adventure? I think your random number generator did a weird, weird thing.

So thanks for pointing out the problem with the continue button, and congratulations on encountering that wizard. No one else has seen him yet, though hopefully they'll make it into the product at some point.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #54
Fuhrmanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
The "takeHits" needs to be >=5
Correct, but this test is at the lower bound (boundary testing).

Quote:
The "damageTakenThisRound()).equals(0) is incorrect because the DX penalty exists regardless of how much damage is taken or not taken.
At the start of a new round damage taken should be 0.

Quote:
Also, the penalty is only supposed to exist from one action phase to the next.
Can you cite a rule please to back your assertion?
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #55
hcobb

ITL 118: "A figure that takes 5 or more hits in one turn has its DX adjusted -2 for its next action (spell, attack, etc.)."

So that can be either this turn (for a low-DX figure), or next turn (for a high-DX figure). Or years from now if you slip a Freeze item on the victim.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #56
andreww

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL 118: "A figure that takes 5 or more hits in one turn has its DX adjusted -2 for its next action (spell, attack, etc.)."

So that can be either this turn (for a low-DX figure), or next turn (for a high-DX figure). Or years from now if you slip a Freeze item on the victim.
It could be a turn or three later, as written. So you smack someone for 8, knock them down. Next turn they get up, but you disengage, third turn they step forward and smack you, *that* is there next action, it gets the -2 DX. I suppose that means if they chase you for a while before swinging it could be any number of turns. If I were GMing in person I would likely cut it off after two or three turns depending on which way I was trying to push the combat, or come up with a colorful reason why someone is still disoriented a little.

Anyway, thanks for your patience, everyone, new version soon. Lots of changes.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:30 AM   #57
Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
Hmmm. The only wizard currently using the sleep spell is not actually in the game. I really want to include that wizard, but haven't had time to finish coding him. So that wizard should not appear. I have fixed the continue button so that it will work, but how did you ever encounter that wizard? In the arena or the adventure? I think your random number generator did a weird, weird thing.

So thanks for pointing out the problem with the continue button, and congratulations on encountering that wizard. No one else has seen him yet, though hopefully they'll make it into the product at some point.
If I go far enough I run into "sleep wizard" and pretty much everytime he puts me to sleep. Then a black background with red lettering appears that says:

"You are overcome by profound sleepiness.

And wizards carry daggers".

and then the Continue button that does not work.
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #58
hcobb

Quote:
It could be a turn or three later, as written. So you smack someone for 8, knock them down. Next turn they get up, but you disengage, third turn they step forward and smack you, *that* is there next action, it gets the -2 DX.
Stand Up is an action, and can face a DX roll, which would be modified in this case.

ITL 102: "STAND UP. Rise from prone, kneeling, or knocked down position at the end of the combat phase, or crawl 2 hexes; take no other action" [Other than this Stand Up action]

ITL 26: "and even if a figure simply stands still in a slippery hex, it must make the saving roll to avoid falling." [At the adjusted DX level.]

Heck even running at full MA or dodging at half MA can count as a figure's action for that turn.

For programming purposes I'd set a flag with three states:

A: No penalty: default state. When five hits are taken in a single blow go to B.

B: -2 DX. When the figure takes an action go to C.

C: -2 DX. When the end of a turn is reached go to A.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #59
andreww

Why does the -2 DX state persist after you have taken an action?

Currently it just lasts until the next die roll. Once a character has suffered the -2 DX penalty on one roll it's gone.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #60
RobW

Quote:
It could be a turn or three later, as written. So you smack someone for 8, knock them down. Next turn they get up, but you disengage, third turn they step forward and smack you, *that* is there next action, it gets the -2 DX. I suppose that means if they chase you for a while before swinging it could be any number of turns.
I don’t think this is correct. For one, actions do not only involve dice rolls. Disengage, change weapons, etc are actions. The -2 penalty would affect when these actions happen. Second, the wording was discussed by SJ in the forum here (I think!), seeking to resolve whether the penalty applied for the remainder of the current turn, in which case a high DX figure wouldn’t care; or did it last until end of next turn, in which case low DX figure gets penalised twice; or next action, meaning the next opportunity to act. That way everyone is affected similarly.

It seems to me this penalty reflects a brief stun effect, not a potential everlasting latent curse. So to speak!

Last edited by RobW; 05-07-2019 at 12:57 PM.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote